Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Labor cost to install S&S 110” kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:18 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Kirby, is that youin thepicture and areyouthe107 builder?

Old 02-15-2019, 11:05 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMcQ
djl, I forgot to say I also got the Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3 when I installed the Rinehart 2-into-1 pipes, made a nice immediately noticeable difference. I should have realized that if I put that kit on, it's best to do the heads too. What about the transmission? You say to get the 107" kit but does that do all necessary or would I still also need to upgrade or at least refresh the heads? Am I right in thinking the best thing to do is get whatever kit I decide on, do the heads, and get the better throttle body? As for doing it myself, I've thought about it and I'm not completely decided yet but I am a bit burned out from a lot of years of hard labor and the knees, hands, shoulders, back, etc. rebel too easily. That's why I need a rough idea of what it would cost to have an expert do the whole job. It would be great if I could have Hillside or Veetwin do the job but I probably need to find someone in Indianapolis area where I live. Just not sure how to know who is good unless someone on here can recommend an expert in the Indy area. I know some companies names but I don't KNOW them. Have you heard of anyone in the Indy area?
I used the term "107" kit" loosely; not really a kit but a bore job on your cylinders with new 3.938" pistons fitted which will deliver similar performance to the S&S 10 kit but at a lesser cost. Head work and cam selection would be based on how the owner's riding style, i.e., emphasis on low to mid range or mid-range to top end power. Either Kirby or Scott can assist in developing a combination of parts to achieve the owner's performance goal. I don't have much good to say about the FP3 as an effective tuner for anything other than stock or Stage I configuration and not an effective tuning device for the build you are considering. You will learn a lot by talking to Scott and Kirby. IIRC, both will work with customers on an exchange basis by including a core charge for heads and cylinders which would be refunded when they receive your heads and cylinders in serviceable condition. If you can find a qualified builder/tuner in your area, (Scott and/or Kirby may be able to suggest), you could outsource the assembly and tuning or assemble yourself and outsource the tune. I suspect any competent tuner will prefer a more effective tuner, like the V&H Powervision or TTS Mastertune. Some tuners sell "licences" to customers so the customer doesn't have to buy the hardware/software package.

I can only suggest what I would do in your situation which would be working with a reputable builder to develop a single purpose build to deliver the performance when and where I wanted it. As for who builds the motor, you or someone else, that is your call but, if outsourced, I would go to great lengths to verify the builder's experience by talking to other customers. The break in and tune is very important and you should also put in the same effort to insure that the tuner is competent by talking to other customers. I live in south Texas and have no knowledge of any independent shops or tuners in IN.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
TerryMcQ (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:24 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Thanks for the helpful knowledge. As for the FP3 had I known better I would have bought better if I could afford it. I'll see if I can find a good builder in my area. I might not get to do this for a year or 2 and I might not do it until my next bike. Also seriously thinking of moving to Florida (59 winters is enough for me) so I might wait to do it there and then I'm closer to Vee Twin/Kirby.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:08 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Where are you in Indiana? Sheffer Performance HD is in Evansville. You're not gonna meet a more honest straight up guy and would be a one stop shop for the project your looking to do. Vee Twin (kirby) and Hillside (Scott) are good guys too, if you have a local that can perform the R&R work. A tuning plan is a must this type of project. Lots of good advice already given to you.

fohttps://www.facebook.com/Sheffer-Performance-HD-LLC-1544666332477222/r

The following users liked this post:
TerryMcQ (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:23 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

I'm 40 miles west of Indy near IN75 and US36. There's several Harley mechanic/shops in or near Indy, I just need to find someone to personally recommend the best. I want to make sure I find a great mechanic.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:28 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Soup to nuts, including a clutch upgrade, claying the pistons, checking deck,etc, etc, etc, figure somewhere about 9-10 hrs +/-.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hillsidecycle.com:
Deuce Dave 2003 (05-08-2020), pgreer (02-20-2023), TerryMcQ (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:54 AM
Sambo62
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Where are you in Indiana? Sheffer Performance HD is in Evansville. You're not gonna meet a more honest straight up guy and would be a one stop shop for the project your looking to do. Vee Twin (kirby) and Hillside (Scott) are good guys too, if you have a local that can perform the R&R work. A tuning plan is a must this type of project. Lots of good advice already given to you.

fohttps://www.facebook.com/Sheffer-Performance-HD-LLC-1544666332477222/r

Daren at Sheffer is a great resource if you are in IN.

Last edited by Sambo62; 02-18-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Scott, thanks for the info. Has anyone ever shipped their bike to you to have the work done? I'm starting to think if it can be done that way, it might be worth it to have one shop handle it all if the shipping isn't astronomical and if you do it that way. Any idea what it costs to ship a bike from Indy to your location? I'd have to wait until riding season is over again at end of year but I'd have to wait probably at least that long to save the cash anyway.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:33 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

I forgot to ask what you would estimate to do the job, R&R and "including a clutch upgrade, claying the pistons, checking deck,etc, etc, etc."

Old 02-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Sambo62

Daren at Sheffer is a great resource if you are in IN.
I'm in central Ohio, 6.5 hour trip one way but totally worth it

Quick Reply: Labor cost to install S&S 110” kit