Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Best 107” kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 11:06 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Best 107” kit?

I’d like recommendations as to who makes the best 107” kit, what are best cams and should clutch be changed? I’m looking for probably what everyone wants: more power, speed, and durability. I mostly ride country highways, sometimes interstates, rarely city riding. I will probably put at least 10,000 miles on a year and did 15,000 last year. Needs to handle mountains too. Thanks in advance for all good advice.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:19 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

What’s your budget? Be prepared to go about 20% over it and don’t forget to allow for a dyno tune with a well respected tuner

The following users liked this post:
TerryMcQ (02-24-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 11:30 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Fuel Moto probably sells the most 107 kits and has good pricing with good reviews. Kirby at Vee Twin racing, a forum sponsor also handles plenty of 107 combos and can offer a wide range of component options to match your riding style. Talk to a few reputable shops and determine which one appeals to you most. You’ll get plenty of comments to your question. Just be smart and go with a proven combination and be wary of those who try and overdo the salesmanship.

The following 2 users liked this post by ntraindavefl:
Fat11Lo (02-25-2019), TerryMcQ (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 12:19 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

contact scott at hillside cycles..he'll create you a custom build.

The following users liked this post:
TerryMcQ (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 06:09 AM
aaa1988
Road Master
Received 576 Likes on 292 Posts

Tman performance, hillside or Kirby. Very reputable with proven performance and longevity

Old 02-24-2019, 09:50 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMcQ
I’d like recommendations as to who makes the best 107” kit, what are best cams and should clutch be changed? I’m looking for probably what everyone wants: more power, speed, and durability. I mostly ride country highways, sometimes interstates, rarely city riding. I will probably put at least 10,000 miles on a year and did 15,000 last year. Needs to handle mountains too. Thanks in advance for all good advice.
I'll give you a friendly piece of advice from someone who has one modified harley and one unmodified harley- If you put on 10K a year a year and value durability, I would leave it either bone stock or IF you can find a competent tuner, due a full stage one (header, exhaust, ac, tuner, dyno). If/when you need a rebuild, then go 107". If you want more power, then yeah, go big, but modifying an engine past a stage one will rarely gain you more durability.

Just some friendly advice from someone who has a well-built and tuned HD by some of the best in the country. Add in many modified snowmobiles, etc over the years.

*IF* you must do something, get yourself an S&S 124" LC motor or S&S 111 and get yourself a warranty. Or, IF you must go 107", don't let power numbers mess with a good plan- CCP should be kept around 190 if you truly value touring.

My 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

EDIT: I see you're in central Indiana. Look up Darren Sheffer of Sheffer Performance. World class dyno tuner and won't steer you wrong. Count your blessings you that close as he's in Evansville.

Last edited by rhuff; 02-24-2019 at 09:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rhuff:
1 2 many (02-24-2019), Fat11Lo (02-25-2019), TerryMcQ (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 11:45 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

All those indy's mentioned here will get you to where you want to go and each one has his own idea on how to get you there. If it's touring and longevity keep your CCP at or below 190 psi... You'll need to call a few of them to make the best choice for you...

Old 02-24-2019, 03:09 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Thanks rhuff. Does Sheffer sell the kits and do the build? I don't know squat about CCP or why keeping it around 190 is important. Crank case pressure? How would 190 be exceeded and is that when it goes ballistic/catastrophic destruction? I originally was planning to go even bigger but on other posts several people said there have been problems with bores bigger than 107. I'm no expert so I wasn't sure if by skirts being too thin they meant the sides (skirts?) of the pistons were too thin? Or are those engines cylinder walls too thin?
I can't afford those new engines from S&S. I was hoping to be able to afford to build up my 96" maybe winter of 2019/2020 and think I might be able to afford the 107" and all related costs including the tune and if necessary a clutch upgrade and HPI throttle body. I have (new 14k mile ago) Rinehart 2-into-1 pipes and K&N air filter. Also bought the FP3 which I've been told since is not the best way to go.
Is a 107" (or could you recommend bigger kits without buying the whole engine?) if built and tuned properly the way to go when I do the build? I know you said stock for durability is likely best but I'm not satisfied with the level of power, especially when someone in a car on a country highway does 50mph when it's illegal to pass and when i get the passing zone the bike doesn't jump fast enough to pass with traffic coming from opposite direction at a distance I think the bike SHOULD be able to pass.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:28 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Budget hopefully around $4k, MAYBE $5

Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Thanks rhuff. Does Sheffer sell the kits and do the build? I don't know squat about CCP or why keeping it around 190 is important. Crank case pressure? How would 190 be exceeded and is that when it goes ballistic/catastrophic destruction? I originally was planning to go even bigger but on other posts several people said there have been problems with bores bigger than 107. I'm no expert so I wasn't sure if by skirts being too thin they meant the sides (skirts?) of the pistons were too thin? Or are those engines cylinder walls too thin?
I can't afford those new engines from S&S. I was hoping to be able to afford to build up my 96" maybe winter of 2019/2020 and think I might be able to afford the 107" and all related costs including the tune and if necessary a clutch upgrade and HPI throttle body. I have (new 14k mile ago) Rinehart 2-into-1 pipes and K&N air filter. Also bought the FP3 which I've been told since is not the best way to go.
Is a 107" (or could you recommend bigger kits without buying the whole engine?) if built and tuned properly the way to go when I do the build? I know you said stock for durability is likely best but I'm not satisfied with the level of power, especially when someone in a car on a country highway does 50mph when it's illegal to pass and when i get the passing zone the bike doesn't jump fast enough to pass with traffic coming from opposite direction at a distance I think the bike SHOULD be able to pass.

I don't know if Darren does kits. I know he can build a wicked stage 2 (cam swap) that are putting up great numbers. He will definitely tune whatever you have built though. And he know his chit. If you're doing a 107", you're going to want some mildly worked over heads. You can definitely get a stout 107" built for 4-5 grand. No worries there. Just remember if you're looking at a basic 107 kit, you want heads ($700 ish), tuner ($200-500), dyno tune ($3-400), probably upgraded clutch (2-300).

If you aren't willing to do heads, leave it alone and do a full stage one.
Budget hopefully around $4k, MAYBE $5
Oh, and call Darren up. His number is there if you google his shop. He won't lead you astray.

Quick Reply: Best 107” kit?