Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Head Gasket- 2007 Twin Cam A

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 07:35 AM
dyna50
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head Gasket- 2007 Twin Cam A

What head gasket do you prefer to use, meaning manufacturer and material of gasket? Also does anyone know the thickness of a OE head gasket for the 2007 twin cam? James has a .036" and a .045" "with armor" gasket, and a MLS type gasket but they don't list the thickness of it... I tried calling Harley and they didn't know the thickness of the OE gasket, which is hard for me to believe, but that's a whole different conversation.. Thanks for any help!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:50 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

The OEM head gasket specified thickness is .045". The most widely used head gasket for Harleys is the Cometic MLS head gasket. Don't know all thicknesses available but .030" and .040" are the most commonly used.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:05 AM
dyna50
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djl
The OEM head gasket specified thickness is .045". The most widely used head gasket for Harleys is the Cometic MLS head gasket. Don't know all thicknesses available but .030" and .040" are the most commonly used.
Thanks for the info,,, IYO with the motor being completely stock do you think I would be safe using a .040" gasket, as far at PTV clearance goes? not trying to change compression either... Also to play it safe, and say I just clay the piston, should I buy an extra gasket just for the test? and then install another new one for the real assembly...

Old 03-19-2019, 02:21 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by dyna50
Thanks for the info,,, IYO with the motor being completely stock do you think I would be safe using a .040" gasket, as far at PTV clearance goes? not trying to change compression either... Also to play it safe, and say I just clay the piston, should I buy an extra gasket just for the test? and then install another new one for the real assembly...
Actually, you would be fine with a .030" and would benefit from a small compression boost; no worries about PTV clearance. IMHO, you are not changing cams, pistons or valves and only reducing the distance from valve to piston by .015" so I doubt that PTV clearance is an issue. Actually that distance is a little less because the pistons are probably below the deck by .003"-.005". Of course, claying the pistons is best, always better to measure; no guessing. Consider mocking up and claying using the OEM head gasket (measure the compressed thickness first) Then subtract the difference in head gasket thickness from the thickness of the compressed clay and you will know how much PTV clearance you have; I think you will be surprised how much there is. Allow .040"-.060" clear. You can also check deck height in the process. This way, you can order either the .030" or the .040" as required but I am sure the .030" will work. One way to do it quickly would be to refrigerate the clay so you can cut a pad 1/8" thick that will cover the intake valve relief. Put the head on, sans gasket, and slowly rotate the piston through TDC. Remove the clay and, if it has been compressed, measure and to the math.

I have mocked up and reused MLS head gaskets several times with no issues.

The following users liked this post:
dyna50 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 02:55 PM
dyna50
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djl
Actually, you would be fine with a .030" and would benefit from a small compression boost; no worries about PTV clearance. IMHO, you are not changing cams, pistons or valves and only reducing the distance from valve to piston by .015" so I doubt that PTV clearance is an issue. Actually that distance is a little less because the pistons are probably below the deck by .003"-.005". Of course, claying the pistons is best, always better to measure; no guessing. Consider mocking up and claying using the OEM head gasket (measure the compressed thickness first) Then subtract the difference in head gasket thickness from the thickness of the compressed clay and you will know how much PTV clearance you have; I think you will be surprised how much there is. Allow .040"-.060" clear. You can also check deck height in the process. This way, you can order either the .030" or the .040" as required but I am sure the .030" will work. One way to do it quickly would be to refrigerate the clay so you can cut a pad 1/8" thick that will cover the intake valve relief. Put the head on, sans gasket, and slowly rotate the piston through TDC. Remove the clay and, if it has been compressed, measure and to the math.

I have mocked up and reused MLS head gaskets several times with no issues.
Thank you for the knowledge. Great info!

Old 08-04-2023, 10:30 PM
Burkie burke
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is old, but I had to have the front head pulled because the guy I took my bike to cant or wouldn’t weld a nut on the broken exhaust stud. I would rather not pay harley for a 165$ rebuild kit.

Old 08-05-2023, 02:51 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Burkie burke
I know this is old, but I had to have the front head pulled because the guy I took my bike to cant or wouldn’t weld a nut on the broken exhaust stud. I would rather not pay harley for a 165$ rebuild kit.
If there is a point to this post; it is not evident. Yes, the thread is old and if you have an issue or a question you should start a new thread specific to your question or issue.