Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   Curious (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/1282866-curious.html)

So_krispy414 05-06-2019 08:50 PM

Curious

I got a 2015 breakout i recently bought used has 3500 miles. First harley but been riding rice burners for years. I came across a youtube video of a guy with a breakout with fueling 574 cams and wow thats the harley thump im looking for. Currently the bike has vance and hines big radius and a se heavy breather and i was told buy the guy i bought it from the dealership put it on and ran it on the dyno. I have no paperwork so i have no idea. I was curious if i could throw a set of thoes cams in the bike what else would i have to change or do so i dont have to worry about blowing the motor or anyother engine problems. I will be swapling the baffles out to the big city thunder baffles soon. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated guys

djl 05-07-2019 09:55 AM

If the nasty idle is what you are looking for, the SE204 will deliver that and a bit more power than the Fueling 574. If looking for better performance, the Andrews 48 would be a good choice but maybe not the lumpy idle of the SE204. I am sure there others have their favorites and will also chime in and you will have much more information than you will be able to use.:icon_wink:

So_krispy414 05-07-2019 10:05 AM

Exactly just looking for more of a badass thumpy sound without going to deep i to motor work. I saw the feulings on youtube and that was the sound i wanted but ill check into the se204s still have homework to do on it before i make a decision but defiantly looking for something that is drop in

djl 05-07-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by So_krispy414 (Post 18238754)
Exactly just looking for more of a badass thumpy sound without going to deep i to motor work. I saw the feulings on youtube and that was the sound i wanted but ill check into the se204s still have homework to do on it before i make a decision but defiantly looking for something that is drop in

If a lumpy, hot rod idle is the goal, look no further than the SE204. It is drop in and a solid little cam. It might be a little soft off idle for two up but the Fueling 574 will be even softer.

So_krispy414 05-07-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by djl (Post 18238937)
If a lumpy, hot rod idle is the goal, look no further than the SE204. It is drop in and a solid little cam. It might be a little soft off idle for two up but the Fueling 574 will be even softer.

What do you mean it will be soft?

Screamin beagle 05-07-2019 12:15 PM

You'll loose low end torque...youll need more throttle to get the train outta the station. Kinda like one of those guys that throws one of those fart can mufflers on his shitbox Hyundai thinking it sounds like a Ferrari lol

djl 05-07-2019 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by So_krispy414 (Post 18238970)
What do you mean it will be soft?

You can't lose torque; the motor makes what the motor makes. What "soft" means is that off idle, torque will develop slower as a result of the heavier two up load; you won't notice it solo. Some cam/pipe combinations will cross the 100TQ line at 2400 rpms but some won't cross the 100TQ line until 2800-3000rpms. The SE204 cam will perform the same whether riding two up or solo but with the extra two up weight, the cam will "feel softer" than riding solo. Comprende? You might not even notice it with 103". I ran the SE204 in a 95"motor in my '05 FXSTD and loved the cam; the little motor made 105TQ/94HP but I could feel a difference coming off idle with my wife on the back. Motor still making the same power but the extra weight made the motor work a little harder to get spinning. I also helped a now gone forum member with his 103" motor; he ran the SE204 with a set of 1.7 ratio rockers to increase lift (ported heads) and I forget the numbers now but it was a hard hitting motor; he loved it.

Not trying to sell you on the 204 but anyone that has run that cam will tell you that the idle is nasty; you can tell the motor is cammed; no doubt.:icon_wink:

Campy Roadie 05-07-2019 02:26 PM

I think what Beagle meant was he'll lose torque at lower RPMs off idle and he'll need to wind it up some.

In my opinion, nothing makes an HD sound as good as a briefcase full of money;)

So_krispy414 05-07-2019 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by djl (Post 18239311)
You can't lose torque; the motor makes what the motor makes. What "soft" means is that off idle, torque will develop slower as a result of the heavier two up load; you won't notice it solo. Some cam/pipe combinations will cross the 100TQ line at 2400 rpms but some won't cross the 100TQ line until 2800-3000rpms. The SE204 cam will perform the same whether riding two up or solo but with the extra two up weight, the cam will "feel softer" than riding solo. Comprende? You might not even notice it with 103". I ran the SE204 in a 95"motor in my '05 FXSTD and loved the cam; the little motor made 105TQ/94HP but I could feel a difference coming off idle with my wife on the back. Motor still making the same power but the extra weight made the motor work a little harder to get spinning. I also helped a now gone forum member with his 103" motor; he ran the SE204 with a set of 1.7 ratio rockers to increase lift (ported heads) and I forget the numbers now but it was a hard hitting motor; he loved it.

Not trying to sell you on the 204 but anyone that has run that cam will tell you that the idle is nasty; you can tell the motor is cammed; no doubt.:icon_wink:

I gotcha ... im looking into it now. Would i need to tune anything or get one of the orange tuner boxes? Sorry if im not maken any sense but the harley seen it new to me and its almost like im scared yo break it where as with the rice burners id strip em change pipes do whatever and never worried about it it was like a toy. Maybe because it was cheaper now im alitte older and spent alittle more money on the new toy im weary haha

Campy Roadie 05-08-2019 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by So_krispy414 (Post 18240111)
I gotcha ... im looking into it now. Would i need to tune anything or get one of the orange tuner boxes? Sorry if im not maken any sense but the harley seen it new to me and its almost like im scared yo break it where as with the rice burners id strip em change pipes do whatever and never worried about it it was like a toy. Maybe because it was cheaper now im alitte older and spent alittle more money on the new toy im weary haha

Yes, a cam change would require tuning. I wouldn't use HD's tuner though. On my fuel injected bike I use Power Vision. That doesn't make it the best, it's just the best for me.