Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Cam Chain Tensioners...99-06 only?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Depends on the chain burrs.
Some crapped out earlier than others but the average is the 25-30K mark initially.
Cyco shoes.
Scott
My 05 fatboy now has 21,000 and the tensioners are about 1/2 way worn.

I did cams on the bike at about 5,000 miles and new tensioners and changed the inner bearings to the SE full rollers. The bike is 14 yr and now only has 21,000 id like to just replace with the Cyco pads, dont want to change to the hydraulic for the cost vs the amount of time I got out of the spring tensioners, if I have to change them again in 5-10 yr its still a lot less $.

My questions are:
Are the Cyco pads also the ones that twin power are selling or are they on Amazon with the Cyco marked install tool ? I also found a place selling the whole tensioner with the white pad and they say they are Cyco? any tips on where to get them

Ive seen a tool that will unload the inner tensioner to allow it to be removed with out having to remove the cams from the plate. is this what some are selling as the "cujo tool". Does it do the job? if I can change the inner with out pressing the cam out I can do it all at home with having to make a trip to a shop with a press.

Also can i leave the oil pump attached to the cam plate when removing and then just reinstall without alineing the oil pump again?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice,

Old 05-13-2019, 11:42 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Don't know about Twin Power or any other vendor's products but you can buy the CYCO tensioner shoes and associated hardware from CYCO; check the link.
http://twincamtensioner.com/

I have only seen one tool that really works to remove the inner tensioner without removing cams and it is a one off tool made by a machinist friend of a forum member that goes by the handle of NomadMax. Have never seen anyone have success with the "Cujo" tool. You can find NomadMax here on the forum and he can direct you to the tool maker but it is a bit pricey. JMHO but just remove the cams as you might as well replace the outer cam bearings while you have the cam chest open. Sometimes the cams will just fall out but if not Google the "oven/freezer" method to R/R cams or check with your local dealer. A tech will probably press cams on and off for a six pack.

You will need to align the pump whether you leave it on the plate or not. Always a good idea to remove and inspect anyway.

If you don't have a service manual; get one.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:55 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks very much for the quick reply.
I have a HD Service Manual and it is excellent, but there is a lot of knowledge here and I want to take advantage of any insight from first hand