Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Oil Pressure reading at Speeds ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 11:20 PM
ses
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I not sure how adding an oil cooler on a bigger motor would cause the motor to sump. Seems to me that the cooler would slow flow unless it was installed on the scavenge side of the pump. On TC's, the cooler typically goes on the feed side.

TC pumps don't cavitate. It's a misused term here. The oil pump fails to scavenge for different reasons and the flywheels aerate the oil. Aerated oil (foamy) is harder to scavenge as it's volume is larger. Once sumping occurs oil temps will spike due to flywheels dragging in the oil. That drag (loss of HP) heats the oil directly which is why the temps spike.

In your case, since the motor seemed to sump after the build, I'd be more inclined to think that the reason for sumping was increased windage due to increased displacement or possibly greater cylinder leakage but there are many other factors that can cause sumping. SnS pump will definitely help tho.
I agree with your statement about aerated oil as that's what I believe was happening. The cooler was a Jagg installed with the adapter on the filter. I could ride 200 miles with no issues one day and the next day in less than 20 miles the temperatures would start to climb and I would shut it down wait a few minutes to cool and restart it and the temperature would drop down and run fine. I've got 1300 miles on the S&S pump and everything is stable and predictable. Just glad it's working but wish I could have found the specific problem that was causing the issues.