Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   88" Cam Opinions (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/1311961-88-cam-opinions.html)

Prodigal_Sun 12-27-2019 07:05 PM

88" Cam Opinions

I have an '03 Stage 1 88" fxdwg with open k&n air filter housing, 2 into 2 short exhausts. Stage 1 was done by dealer for previous owner so I'm assuming a jet kit was installed at the same time. It has just over 20,000 miles so I plan on inspecting tensioner shoes and likely replacing them with the CYCO ones if it hasn't already been done. While it's apart I'm thinking I may as well do the cam and bearings. I have some experience wrenching so I'm not too squeamish about doing it myself.

I'm not looking for high hp numbers or a wild top end. I've had sportbikes and if I wanted that I'd get another. I am looking to make low end torque, and a wide powerband, with a low idle, and if I can get better mileage out of it, all the better. I'm not overly concerned about emissions, as long as I'm not fouling plugs I figure the trees should be safe enough. I want to keep everything else as stock as possible in order not to mess with the inherent factory reliability. I intend to go to taller final drive because I like the lazy feeling of a motor barely working, but I want that surge of power on tap. Should probably sound deeper and rumblier than stock without getting too over the top. I'm 6' 230lbs and do 95% of my riding solo, in and out of town. My wife rides along once and a while she's about 115.

I've done some reading on various threads here and doing some other internet research, and have been leaning toward the Andrews 21 over the 26 since it states a lower (and higher) rpm range. It seems to be everything I'm looking for, I just like to leave no stone unturned and wonder if anyone has any similar cam recommendations they can make that might better fit what I'm looking for.

If you've read this far, thank you.

eighteight 12-28-2019 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Prodigal_Sun (Post 18762262)
I I intend to go to taller final drive .

Can`t help you with cam selection but I certainly agree with taller gearing,
Done it for years.
JMO

duglaura&flhti 12-28-2019 05:05 AM

Andrews TW21 cams is made that that application....Proven and true....Go SE big bore kit TW26 cams, with Billet Cam plate, SE oil oump, new Bearings, Hydl tensioners, etc....with a good dyno....DONE.

buell95 12-28-2019 06:02 AM

Cam

S&S 509 is a good cam if doing
Cam only.

Cobra1 12-28-2019 06:50 AM

I also used a S&S 509 but in a gear drive. Love the idle and it has good low end torque.

prodrag1320 12-28-2019 07:17 AM

98" kit and S&S 583 cams would do the trick

Prodigal_Sun 12-28-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by duglaura&flhti (Post 18762810)
Andrews TW21 cams is made that that application....Proven and true....Go SE big bore kit TW26 cams, with Billet Cam plate, SE oil oump, new Bearings, Hydl tensioners, etc....with a good dyno....DONE.

I would but I'm on a bit of a budget right now and that's a lot to do at one time.

Prodigal_Sun 12-28-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cobra1 (Post 18762921)
I also used a S&S 509 but in a gear drive. Love the idle and it has good low end torque.

It doesn't lose too much velocity going over .500 lift? I'm fair from a cam expert, I'm learning a ton as I go

djl 12-28-2019 11:16 AM

Andrews 26 and S&S 509 are the go to cams for a Stage I TC88. Assume the bike is carbed from your reference to a "jet kit" so a cam will likely require re-jetting. If the bike is fuel injected, the budget should be increased to include fuel management and dyno tune.

Take a look at the attached list of cams; results are from the same motor, same day, only change was cams. To be honest, boring to 98" with some domed pistons to increase compression would produce better results than a cam only upgrade. No replacement for displacement. Add cams down the road.

Taller final drive is not a good idea IMHO because the taller gearing actually makes the motor work harder and will require completely different shift patterns.

djl 12-28-2019 11:25 AM

Andrews 26 and S&S 509 are the "go to" choices for cam only upgrades to a stock or StageI TC88; the attached list might help the OP make a decision. No issues with reliability or velocity loss at .509" lift.

JMHO but boring to 98" with 3cc dome pistons to increase compression to about 10:1 will produce better results than a cam only upgrade. While the heads are off, might as well clean up, replace guide seals and a multi angle valve job.

IMHO, taller gearing is not a good idea as it actually makes the motor work harder. Taller gearing will also require very different shift patterns to keep the motor happy.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...137d818830.jpg