Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Oil change before or after cam swap

Old 05-07-2021, 10:16 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 799 Likes on 586 Posts
Default Oil change before or after cam swap

Maybe a dumb question but going to ask anyway. I’m setting up to do a cam upgrade. Bike does have a a lot of miles from last season but always change oil in the spring regardless. Should I wait till after I change cams to put fresh fluid in? It has amsoil in it now with maybe only 2500 on it from last season but has been in winter storage since Nov.
if I should change it first should I use Dino oil for the initial change with new cams and other new parts or does it matter?

Old 05-08-2021, 04:48 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Change to some less expensive Dino for the first 500, then just go nuts on whatever you want if it ain't gonna break your financial reserve! That's what I would do.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:55 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,717 Likes on 2,390 Posts

I wouldn't expect cams to be a wear in item like rings. If it is time to change the oil it is time. Do the two together and go ride.

I would take it easy for a few miles and then check the engine over for leaks and whatever. After any work ride cautiously for a bit is my approach.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:47 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member

Thank you

Old 05-08-2021, 09:39 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

You won’t loose much oil doing a cam change. You can’t go wrong with new oil and new parts. Change it before the work, then after it’s back together check oil level and top off if needed.

Old 05-08-2021, 01:47 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by bad tappets
You won’t loose much oil doing a cam change. You can’t go wrong with new oil and new parts. Change it before the work, then after it’s back together check oil level and top off if needed.
Good plan. Thanks

Old 05-08-2021, 03:02 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

I will be the outlier. Assume the OP is replacing the inner cam bearings along with the cams, new lifters and maybe the chain tensioners; not sure what the cam chest looks like now. Use cam lube for the cams and lifters and dump everything at 100 miles for new oil and filter; ride on.: The TC motor is not that sensitive.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:20 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
I will be the outlier. Assume the OP is replacing the inner cam bearings along with the cams, new lifters and maybe the chain tensioners; not sure what the cam chest looks like now. Use cam lube for the cams and lifters and dump everything at 100 miles for new oil and filter; ride on.: The TC motor is not that sensitive.
hey Don,always appreciate your invite and input.
while I got ya on the line will ask another question. I’m going to remove and inspect the oil pump as well as remove the pressure relief valve and spring. Because they are cheap I intend to replace the oils pumps wave washer and relief valve and spring.
is it necessary to reseat the new valve or does it just drop back in. Saw a video where they “use a set punch and give it a good whack with a hammer” seemed kind of caveman for a precise engine part but what do I know.
thanks again

Old 05-09-2021, 02:28 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,717 Likes on 2,390 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Are you expecting flakes of metal coming off the new parts?

Is your thinking you will see if the new parts are good?

Old 05-09-2021, 08:16 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,787 Likes on 3,302 Posts

As djl says........ Assemble camshafts, lifters and cam bearings with assembly lube. There is an annealing process to the camshaft and the rollers on the lifters that is necessary to protect the motor long-term. Have seen cams that are not hardened properly and will wear improperly..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil change before or after cam swap