Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   How/why does heavier oil quiet ticking top end? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/1441900-how-why-does-heavier-oil-quiet-ticking-top-end.html)

Mchad 09-30-2023 12:55 PM

A nice 4 hour ride on my King wiped away the hangover and cleared my head nicely. So I pulled out the two rear pushrods, covers and lifters.

Lifters “looked” fine. So I popped the C-clips and field stripped the pistons. The rear intake lifter was the suspect one that seemed to bleed down to quickly, and I think I see why. When I removed the cup and metering disc, I then tipped it upside down to drain the oil, and the piston itself started sliding out of the body. I haven’t measured yet but it is definitely looser then the exhaust lifter, which when I pulled the piston out, came out much more slowly as if the fit was tighter. Hard to explain but it all seem to add up. Fast bleed, looser piston? Ticking?

The only thing that doesn’t add up is my inability to hear the tick coming specifically from that lifter/pushrod/rocker area.

I also noticed a little rub inside the exhaust tube and some rings around the pushrod. I know I might be looking for problems, but I’ve also read the factory tubes can sometimes contact adjustable pushrods.. And the FuelMoto rods are pretty thick so I am probably going to take off a little thickness at the top end of the tubes. I have to find the threads I read on that.

Anyway, ordered a set of Feuling 4050ST’s which should be here Tues or Wed.

Thoughts other then I should probably move this to the Twin Cam tech forum now that it’s no longer an oil thread?

Uncle Larry 09-30-2023 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mchad (Post 21401435)
A nice 4 hour ride on my King wiped away the hangover and cleared my head nicely. So I pulled out the two rear pushrods, covers and lifters.

Lifters “looked” fine. So I popped the C-clips and field stripped the pistons. The rear intake lifter was the suspect one that seemed to bleed down to quickly, and I think I see why. When I removed the cup and metering disc, I then tipped it upside down to drain the oil, and the piston itself started sliding out of the body. I haven’t measured yet but it is definitely looser then the exhaust lifter, which when I pulled the piston out, came out much more slowly as if the fit was tighter. Hard to explain but it all seem to add up. Fast bleed, looser piston? Ticking?

The only thing that doesn’t add up is my inability to hear the tick coming specifically from that lifter/pushrod/rocker area.

I also noticed a little rub inside the exhaust tube and some rings around the pushrod. I know I might be looking for problems, but I’ve also read the factory tubes can sometimes contact adjustable pushrods.. And the FuelMoto rods are pretty thick so I am probably going to take off a little thickness at the top end of the tubes. I have to find the threads I read on that.

Anyway, ordered a set of Feuling 4050ST’s which should be here Tues or Wed.

Thoughts other then I should probably move this to the Twin Cam tech forum now that it’s no longer an oil thread?

"but I’ve also read the factory tubes can sometimes contact adjustable pushrods" ... yes this can and will happen ... This could be contributing to your problem

Mchad 09-30-2023 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry (Post 21401543)
"but I’ve also read the factory tubes can sometimes contact adjustable pushrods" ... yes this can and will happen ... This could be contributing to your problem

I found a thread here where someone had this problem and resolved it with running a 5/8” reamer down the upper tube. Chinazon will be delivering one tomorrow.

Max Headflow 09-30-2023 03:53 PM

With the plunger (piston) sliding out, it's possible that the valve in the bottom of the plunger may simply be leaking. No vacuum holding it in.. Air coming through the valve. Possibly has some crap stuck in it.. At this point, I replace all the lifters unless you like playing with them.. :D

Mchad 09-30-2023 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Max Headflow (Post 21401600)
With the plunger (piston) sliding out, it's possible that the valve in the bottom of the plunger may simply be leaking. No vacuum holding it in.. Air coming through the valve. Possibly has some crap stuck in it.. At this point, I replace all the lifters unless you like playing with them.. :D

Yep, Fueling Race short travel’s are on the way. Wed probably.

Hey Man 09-30-2023 05:35 PM

Viscosity, viscosity, viscosity.

Max Headflow 09-30-2023 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hey Man (Post 21401682)
Viscosity, viscosity, viscosity.

Vaseline or KY jelly?

60Gunner 10-01-2023 02:50 AM

Same reason conventional is generally quieter than synthetic... Shock load.

ntraindavefl 10-01-2023 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Max Headflow (Post 21401926)
Vaseline or KY jelly?

Yikes! Isn’t there a diff kind of forum for this Q?

Mchad 10-03-2023 11:17 AM

If anyone cares, here is the thread, now specific to the tick with little to no mention of "oil" - in the TC engine section.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/twin-...tick-tock.html