Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Scissored Flywheels '03 Twin Cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Scissored Flywheels '03 Twin Cam

Ok, I need some incentive, it is snowing in northern Indiana and I just don't have the drive to finish what i started.

Problem - In Milwaukee for the 110th, noticed my '03 was making some wierd noises. Son was riding it and said the oil pressure was fluctuating. i assumed the oil pump was going out so we stopped in several dealerships, found nobody to replace the oil pump. Asked son to watch for red light with no oil pressure and we went on. 500 miles later I have her home on the lift ready to install my new cam support plate and bearings and high volume oil pump and hydraulic tensioners. Grabbed the magnetic base indicator and checked runout on the pinion side to find end of crank is running 0.065" out of round TIR.

Purchased - SE performance hydraulic cam chain upgrade for early Twin Cam includes billet cam plate, high volume/pressure oil pump and hydraulic tensioners like '06 and up and new chains. Purchased pinion crank bearing, heavy duty cam and Lefty Heavy Duty Crank Bearing. Also purchased a plugged, welded trued and balanced flywheel assembly.

Status - Bike is on lift, primary and cam chest torn apart and I need to pull heads and cylinders to get cases out of frame. Need to split the cases and install the new wheel ASM. It is snowing, cold and I most likely won't have ther opportunity to ride for awhile. I would also like to put my JD and snow plow on the lift but can't because the bike is there. Actually thought about backing the enclosed trailer in and boxing it all up for the winter. I just can't seem to find the incentive I need to finish what i started.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Here's my thread on doing my crank. Hope it helps. Did mine last winter. Lots of pics.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-job-pics.html

Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Its a lot easier than you think to swap out the crank. Especially if you dont have a B motor.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the inspiration, I'm going to add pictures as i go to tell the story, my incentive.

What caused the crack in your head at the spark plug hole?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

No frekin clue. There was no loss in performance or compression. Cracked twin cam head is not common. Yes take lots of pics. Gives others inspiration to try it themselves. Post a link in this thread or PM a link when you start a thread.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:58 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

OK Here is where we are, keep in mind the tear down is where I left it the 2nd weekend of September after getting home form Milwaukee.

Attached Thumbnails Scissored Flywheels '03 Twin Cam-eg1.jpg   Scissored Flywheels '03 Twin Cam-eg2.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

After the tear down I ordered and received parts. Next step is to get the top end off and pull the lower, split the cases and install the new flywheel assembly.

If you have a Twin Cam and you like to beat on it, this could happen to you if you haven't installed a plugged and welded, trued and balanced set of flywheels.

Attached Thumbnails Scissored Flywheels '03 Twin Cam-eg3.jpg   Scissored Flywheels '03 Twin Cam-eg4.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Got side tracked, stay tuned for next update sometine after the weekend....

Attached Thumbnails Scissored Flywheels '03 Twin Cam-ar15.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 AM
porschemann
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default engine work

Watching this with interest. I have the exact same bike as yours, and with now 41,500 miles on it, I figured it was time to open it this winter.
I bought it used and was always bothered that with a HARD 4th or 5th roll-on it would ping... tell me that isn't normal. So since I have no idea what others have done in the past, I figured it was time to open it up and see what is going on... and while in there maybe I got the cams route (unless it has some already - no idea) and maybe a big kit and a stroker crank.

Are you changing to a stroked crank, going 96 crank and big bore?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

No, I special ordered this in '02 with Fuel Injection and over the last 50kmi I added 10.5:1 pistons, 211 cams, and performance heads. I do not want to repeat the learning curve for fuel map so will go back standard stroke.

As for ping with hard high gear roll on, mine did this from new and was able to tune it out with the Dunojet Power Commander. Back then it was stock with a stage 1 download mufflers and air cleaner. Simply adding the PC III USB and their prescribed download solved that problem.

As for the scissored flywheels, I am sure that is from hole shots, getting it sideways in 2nd and 3rd gears, and 2nd gear wheelies. The '03 twin cams changed form Timken tapered to roller bearings for the crank. There may have also been some changes in the press fit and tolerances for the flywheel assembly. The replacement flywheel assembly has plugs pressed into the crank pin which is hollow from the factory. It also has the pin welded to the flywheels. This is supposed to stop any furutre scissoring.

Quick Reply: Scissored Flywheels '03 Twin Cam