Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Which cylinder head for my 05?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Which cylinder head for my 05?

I'm considering a head upgrade for my 05 Electra Glide. I understand that 06 and up is a better head. Does anyone know where I can find casting numbers? Do I need to stay at the same displacement or will heads off a 96" work?

Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

any head with 7mm valves & beehive springs (96") is what you looking for,the `07 up heads are the best(the 05-06 heads still have the small ex port).you will have to get the later int. flanges,their about 9.00 each @ HD

Old 03-01-2014, 12:06 PM
thrapy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out big boyz head porting, go to tech articles, then heads whats the differance.
http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com

Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 AM
Torqueinc
Banned

If you are porting the heads it makes no difference what heads you start with.....I prefer the older heads exhaust port as you have more material to shape the port like it should be shaped as opposed to being stuck with Harleys idea of an ideal port.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:08 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What are you tryin to accomplish just plain john? WHY are you pulling heads?

Answer these and maybe an answer more suited to what YOU are trying to accomplish can be answered.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:00 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
What are you tryin to accomplish just plain john? WHY are you pulling heads?

Answer these and maybe an answer more suited to what YOU are trying to accomplish can be answered.
I recently did cams, exhaust and dyno tune. I want more, so I'm scouring ebay for a set of 06 and up heads. I say 06 and up because I have read here on the forum that the ports were improved in that year. My heads already have the beehive springs if that's any indicator. I don't need them today, I just want to watch for a set should one appear. I can't afford new Fuel Moto heads or the like, so I'll find a good set of cores and redo them.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OK. The guys that asked you about heads are the head guys, so I would assume you received your answer.

My thought would be to try to get 07-08 heads and not really new ones like from a 12.

I could be mistaken, and I am sure Kirby or John will correct me.... my understanding is the newer the more likely there will be terrible casting crap from the factory.

You could mail in your heads and, for around $500 ish... or possibly less, you could have a nice set of Street Ported heads, all the while using your own heads. Or... folks like Kirby and John will do 'core charge' heads. They will charge you for the heads, along with the porting, but once you send your original heads back, and they meet inspection, they will refund the core charges.

That could save you the cost of the new heads.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 03-02-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
OK. The guys that asked you about heads are the head guys, so I would assume you received your answer.

My thought would be to try to get 07-08 heads and not really new ones like from a 12.

I could be mistaken, and I am sure Kirby or John will correct me.... my understanding is the newer the more likely there will be terrible casting crap from the factory.

You could mail in your heads and, for around $500 ish... or possibly less, you could have a nice set of Street Ported heads, all the while using your own heads. Or... folks like Kirby and John will do 'core charge' heads. They will charge you for the heads, along with the porting, but once you send your original heads back, and they meet inspection, they will refund the core charges.

That could save you the cost of the new heads.
I'll keep that in mind, but it still doesn't answer my casting number question

Old 03-04-2014, 06:01 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser

the casting number is on the top of the heads.xxx99 early model, xxx06 late model
Ive got a set of 05 ported heads by kirby ill be selling here pretty soon

Old 03-06-2014, 03:59 PM
jamess71
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I'll keep that in mind, but it still doesn't answer my casting number question
http://bigboyzheadporting.com/showthread.php?t=83

Quick Reply: Which cylinder head for my 05?