Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

perfect fit push rods... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 AM
rockstarbass1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perfect fit push rods... need advice

I'm throwing some screamin eagle cams in my bike and I know if I did just that, I could reuse my stock push rods if I took the whole top end apart. Hence the reason for adjustable to make the job easier. But I'm having my head decked .020 and going to run the .030 cometic head gasket. The guy doing the head work for me says just get the perfect fit push rods harley says to use with the cams I'm going with listed for stock heads. But won't there be an issue because of the thinner head gasket and head being decked? He said a little over lap is actually good? Not sure what to do. Thanks chris

Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by rockstarbass1
I'm throwing some screamin eagle cams in my bike and I know if I did just that, I could reuse my stock push rods if I took the whole top end apart. Hence the reason for adjustable to make the job easier. But I'm having my head decked .020 and going to run the .030 cometic head gasket. The guy doing the head work for me says just get the perfect fit push rods harley says to use with the cams I'm going with listed for stock heads. But won't there be an issue because of the thinner head gasket and head being decked? He said a little over lap is actually good? Not sure what to do. Thanks chris
You are moving the rocker arm .030-.032 closer to the cam lobe, (.020 + .012) effectively shortening the pushrod by that same amount. Installing the OEM pushrods would leave about .070-.068 lifter piston travel which some would run. However, you could install the -.030 perfect fit pushrods and maintain the nominal .100" lifter piston travel. Personally, I would go with adjustable pushrods to have the flexibility to change cams in the future; particularly since you are installing SE cams. Quite a few who install SE cams eventually look to the aftermarket for more performance oriented cam sets.