Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Help with hyd tensioner upgrade and cam sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Quickrunner1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with hyd tensioner upgrade and cam sugestions

I am looking for the most economical way to upgrade my stock 05 88 inch TC motor with almost 50k miles to hyd tensioners and go ahead and put some new cams in while I am in there. Bike is a RoadGlide that I ride 2 up with about 1/3 of the time. It is internaly all stock and I doubt ever been apart, runs great but planing on going out west and worried about tensioner problem since it has 50k on it. Only mods to motor are Reinhart true duals, stage 1 air cleaner and a Power Commander3. Would love a parts list of what is required and some cam sugestions for a basicaly stock 88incher. I priced the SE billet plate but would the stock parts from a 07 work and be cheaper? I like the idea of the SE stuff has better oil pump than stock. Will be doing the work myself so probably go with the S&S quickie pushrods so I dont have to pull tank and rockers. On the cams would the 204's be a good choice? One guy sugested the 211's but seem to much for my heavy roadie? I know cam sugestion is open ended question and depands on riding style. I like to lay into it a bit when riding solo and I also want a noticibe gain in power when I have a pasenger on the back. also for the $$ this is going to cost for cams what is my best bang for the buck?

Last edited by Quickrunner1; 05-07-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: wanted to
Old 05-07-2014, 10:58 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

S&S .583`s in a gear drive would be the way to go

Old 05-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Hotbo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a complete upgrade kit(used) that i had in my 03 for about 4k miles W/

Andrews 37 cams.comes with everything needed to upgrade,new style pump,hyd tensioners,ect.

will sale right!

Travis

Old 05-07-2014, 11:21 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

To be completely honest, the TC88 oil pump is adequate; the problem is the spring loaded tensioners and link chain. CYCO makes a new tensioner to replace the OEM tensioner; different material that will wear but will not turn brittle and chip, crack or break. The new tensioner has been out for a while now and there are no reported issues. You might want retain the OEM plate and pump (the later pump will not retro fit) and gear driven cams; about the same price as the hydraulic upgrade. There is also a high capacity pump available from Drag Specialties, their PN 0932-0087, page 670. I am running gear drive cams in my 95" '05 FXSTD with the OEM pump; 15K miles and no issues. The hydraulic upgrade is very popular but gear drive being about the same cost eliminates all tensioner issues. You should check your crank runout before deciding on gear drive; should not exceed .003" as a general rule.

http://www.harleydavidsontensioner.com/

If I was going to upgrade the cam chest to hydraulic tensioners I would be looking at the SE 255282-11 kit; billet plate and pump which requires that you purchase separately the hydraulic tensioners, roller chains and othe miscellaneous hardware to complete the package plus a set of "conversion" cams. You could go with the 25284-11 kit but the inner chain would still be link, not roller. The image below from the Andrews website includes a list of the parts required for the change over to the '07 and later OEM cam plate. You would need some of the parts to complete the change over with the 25282-11 kit.

As for cams, the S&S 583 would be a good choice for you application. You should change and upgrade your inner cam bearings as well.

I would add that if you could pick up a set of take off '06 or later heads, clean them up, replace guide seals and have a good SERDI valve job done and replace your TC88 heads, you will greatly improve performance. The '05 heads are the worst to ever come from the factory and many had leaking valve guide seals.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotbo
i have a complete upgrade kit(used) that i had in my 03 for about 4k miles W/

Andrews 37 cams.comes with everything needed to upgrade,new style pump,hyd tensioners,ect.

will sale right!

Travis
Hotbo you have a private message

Old 05-07-2014, 12:03 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

The 37 is not a good choice for the OPs application; way to soft on the bottom in a TC88. Should the OP decide to bore to 95", the 37 starts looking better.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Quickrunner1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for replys, I seriously doubt that my crank runout is in spec for gear drive cams with the bike pushing 50k miles. Also dont want the bike down very long. Would like a known setup and part #'s so I can have everything lined up before I tear it down. Dont want to rip into it thinking gear drive to find out its out of spec and then$$$. Really just looking for the best way to go to hyd tension and put some cams in to get a little more power out of this 88. I dont want to pull heads and get all caried away. I drag raced for 20 years and I know how these things snowball into an entire rebuild and spending $$ on it is not in the cards. I want it reliable, and no fuss, and a bit more power is all.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM
fidel
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

repalce ur tensionner with cyco new lifter ( gatorman ) adjus push rod

smith brothers or s&s andrews 48 cam or 26

Old 05-07-2014, 02:16 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Quickrunner1
Thanks for replys, I seriously doubt that my crank runout is in spec for gear drive cams with the bike pushing 50k miles. Also dont want the bike down very long. Would like a known setup and part #'s so I can have everything lined up before I tear it down. Dont want to rip into it thinking gear drive to find out its out of spec and then$$$. Really just looking for the best way to go to hyd tension and put some cams in to get a little more power out of this 88. I dont want to pull heads and get all caried away. I drag raced for 20 years and I know how these things snowball into an entire rebuild and spending $$ on it is not in the cards. I want it reliable, and no fuss, and a bit more power is all.
That information has been provided in #4. I would bet your crank is within spec; probably not greater than .0025" and gears would work. Additonally, once the cam cover is pulled, it would take 15-20 minutes to check. Even if running chains, noting crank runout now could be useful information in the future.

A set of '06 take off heads is not getting "carried away"; it's a simple R/R job. $$$ may be an issue but your heads are a serious power bottle neck.

If $$ are the issue, replace tensioners wtih CYCO shoes, retain the OEM cam plate, replace inner and outer cam bearings, install the Baisley pressure relief spring in the cam plate for a slight increase in oil pressure, drop in a set of SE 583 cams, get her tuned and call it good.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Hotbo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
The 37 is not a good choice for the OPs application; way to soft on the bottom in a TC88. Should the OP decide to bore to 95", the 37 starts looking better.

you are correct the 37s will be soft on bottom in a 88 app.

i have ran 37s in a stock 88" Dyna and they worked but that was a light bike and was ridden with the throttle open a lot,lol!!!

just putting out there i have a like new kit for a good price with these cams.

best of luck Travis

Quick Reply: Help with hyd tensioner upgrade and cam sugestions