Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Who knows about engine balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

He did ask people that know how to build/re-build cranks and he recieved straightfoward answers............

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 05-19-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:49 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, he did. Yes it was.

But a discussion on balance factors would be enlightening.

When R&R did a stock crank rebuild (with balancing), I ended up with a 52 balance factor. Engine was sooooo smooth. I would imagine any engine with the crank, etc all balanced would be similar. Just want to know more about 'balance factor'.

Kirby did an excellent job at describing the 'how to' for balancing a crank, BTW. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

You'll never get a v-twin crank to be smooth thru the entire rpm band, but rather place the vibration/pulsation point where your in/out of it without notice.
52-55% seems to be the numbers that folks use these days.
60% was always the number S&S reccomended.
We've found over the years just how far off the OEM balancing really is.
Not bad when removing material, but when you need to add weight,(tungsten, or also known as Mallory Metal) that is a bit more involved.
We've lightened, knife-edged, pork-chopped, reduced the diameters, etc, etc, to these cranks, and have built/rebuilt over 400 cranks to date, with completed S&S worksheets to prove it.
Our AHDRA racer's crank, was loaded to 450 ft.lbs on the crank pin nuts, and if someone has ever had to true those once torqued, you know that is no joy.
Nothing complex or hard to do once your tooled up to do it, and you have the hands-on experience to go along with the tooling.
Scott

Old 05-20-2014, 01:35 AM
parrishbjj
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is all really informative. Thanks for all the responses. Right now Im still in the process of getting the bottom end out of the frame and I still want to take the cylinders to a shop and see if they need to be bored. If so, I believe I then need to get that done as well as get new pistons. Once I get that done, i will be looking to get this all balanced. It will still be some time before Im at that point, but was trying to get some info ahead of time so i knew what was going to happen next in the process and about how much to expect to spend. Thanks again.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:37 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

flywheels that have been lightened or will see high RPM`s,we balance at 50-55%,but for most street stuff,60% still works best IMO.the balance factor is the percentage of the reciprocating weight (top half of rods,pistons,rings,w.pins & circlips).we found the motors seeing higher RPM`s will benefit from a slightly lower percentage (everybody seems to have their own opinion on this,but this is what we`ve found here,and we`ve balanced more flywheel sets that I could even begin to count).the rotating weight (lower half of rods,c. pin,bearings,nuts & cages) is balanced using 100% of the weight.theres also a lot of vibration that gets blaimed on the engine being out of balance,check all your motor mounts,prim chain adjusted and on the bikes with tapered main shafts,making sure the clutch hub isn't running out of true is a MAJOR cause for vibration on the earlier bikes

Last edited by prodrag1320; 05-20-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,182 Likes on 937 Posts

Great info guys!! Thank You!!

Old 11-12-2017, 09:38 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 207 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead.

I have a new Low Rider S with a 117. I'm still breaking it in and haven't been revving it past 4000 rpm. At 3200 rpm, the motorcycle vibrates a lot. Below that, very little, and above that, very little. Does balancing help minimize that vibration, or is it a matter of lowering or raising the rpm point where you are feeling the engine out of balance?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 11-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by TOE_CUTTER
Bringing this back from the dead.

I have a new Low Rider S with a 117. I'm still breaking it in and haven't been revving it past 4000 rpm. At 3200 rpm, the motorcycle vibrates a lot. Below that, very little, and above that, very little. Does balancing help minimize that vibration, or is it a matter of lowering or raising the rpm point where you are feeling the engine out of balance?

Thanks,

Dave
Few things to note.

1. You cannot completely balance a 45 degree V twin. The rest is reference to the motor.

2. The vibration from the motor will increase with RPM not mater what so you really can't balance for RPMs.

3. Optimum balance factor really depends on how the the rest of the system, motorcycle chassis,everything that absorbs the imbalance that make a difference in felt vibrations. Obviously a lighter motorcycle will vibrate more than a heavy one.. The motorcycles as a system can have resonate frequencies so there is often an advantage to vectoring the imbalance.. Example.. 0% Imbalance will vector the imbalance vertically. 100% imbalance will vector the imbalance horizontally.

4. Selecting a balance factor around 50-53% reduces the overall imbalance but vectoring the imbalance in a direction where the center of mass can absorb it helps.

5. Reducing the reciprocating mass will reduce the vibrations.

6. Equalizing individual rods and pistons can help reduce vibrations.

7. Rubber mounted motors can resonate at certain frequencies making vibrations that cam become intolerable.

8. Twisted / Spread cranks throw off balance factors.

9. Stronger power pulses from a higher performance motor can cause motor vibration tho it's really not from imbalance.

In your case the bike is on the light side compared to a bagger. Pumping the motor up can make it vibrate more.. Exhaust is mounted to the tranny. It can can create a resonate frequency at certain RPMs. Sometimes lightening the exhaust or adding some flex to the exhaust mounts can help. Adding preload to the rubber mounts can help. Dynas have their own special issues so it's worth looking at the threads abbot vibration and asking questions over in the Dyna section.