Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   Junk in the Crank Case (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/971579-junk-in-the-crank-case.html)

'00RoadKing 05-31-2014 12:36 AM

Junk in the Crank Case

Ok, just beating another dead horse. Thought I'd through this out there and see what sort of response comes down the line.
Up grading cam tensioners from springs to hydraulics in my '05 EG TC88. Using stock '07+ cam support plate and Andrews 21N conversion cams. All is going great in the Man Cave.........until I swap out the inner cam bearings. They grenade when I start to pull them. The rear one is in a bazillion pieces and I lose several needle bearings into the inner case along with some of the cage. I move on to the front one and of course it comes apart as well but able to get all the pieces and count up the needles and cage pieces. I then start probing around with a wire and magnet. Get everything but 2 needles and who knows how much of the cage. At this point I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about this program and walk away to do some research. Found out about the Pingel oil pump screen #62619 and got one coming. 8 days later the kit arrives. 2 screens, installer and instructions that eluded to drilling out the pump to make them fit. Turns out I only needed one for the scavenge port to the inner crank case that fits snugly into the lower scavenge tube on the pump. All is well in the man Cave. I pulled the plug out from the inner crank case and found out that is a waste of time and energy. Don't bother, the plug bore is higher than the case floor. Waste of time. So, at this point I have an epiphany!!! I'm thinking "magnets". A buddy of mine harvests these unbelievably strong magnets from computer hard drives. These things are nothing short of Area 51 crazy off the charts OMG stop a speeding train in its tracks strong!. I used some space age epoxy junk and glued them to the bottom side of the inner crank case. On the out side under the engine. I will finish reassembly this weekend and see what happens. I am at this point feeling good about this program. I really don't want to pull the engine and spit the case. At this point it's like dropping your wedding ring in the toilet.......you have to throw your wallet in to make it worth going in after the ring! If I have to split the case, it's because the engine seized from the junk in the case. Will post later after I run it and see what happens.

Tanuki 05-31-2014 03:59 AM

Another one who lays out a text wall, man what ever happened to proper grammar and writing in English class?

Punctuation and Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

Jackie Paper 05-31-2014 04:10 AM

:icon_munching:

Dan89FLSTC 05-31-2014 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tanuki (Post 12797929)
Punctuation and Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

A little more diplomatic way of saying this:

Hey 00RoadKing, when you have old eyeballs like mine, a giant paragraph is very difficult to read.

Go back and edit your post, break it up into small paragraphs.

And leave out the stuff we don`t need to know.

HD Pilot 05-31-2014 10:13 AM

I found it an interesting read. If you don't like the "format" of a post, why don't you just skip it? This Forum is not for grammar/writing help.

hvacgaspiping 05-31-2014 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by HD Pilot (Post 12798847)
I found it an interesting read. If you don't like the "format" of a post, why don't you just skip it? This Forum is not for grammar help.

:icon_that:, Too many grammar and spelling nazis. As long as you get the full meaning of what`s said, don`t bust balls over petty shit.

0ldhippie 05-31-2014 10:19 AM

Not a fan of extra pieces in the crank case... no matter if ya can write or not.
Maybe hang it on its side on an engine hoist and shake it around some???

Dan89FLSTC 05-31-2014 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by HD Pilot (Post 12798847)
I found it an interesting read. If you don't like the "format" of a post, why don't you just skip it? This Forum is not for grammar/writing help.

I explained in my post the reason. It`s not hard to format a post, just separate the sentences so it is more readable.

Like I said, I have old (59) eyeballs.

I wasn`t trying to be insulting or a smart ass.

This forum is for help, and I like helping people who are having mechanical/electrical problems with their bikes.

You can go back and check my posts, and you will see that I have never asked anyone for help on this forum, nor have I been a grammar/spelling pest.

And please don`t hesitate to skip any of my posts, or better yet, toss me into your ignore list.

HD Pilot 05-31-2014 11:50 AM

Hell, I am not much younger(55), might try some new glasses? I almost have to wear my cheaters to tie my shoes!

senna 05-31-2014 12:43 PM

Unintended pieces bouncing around the inside of a crank case rarely ends well!