Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

'88 Heritage lifter nose

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Starman321
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 Heritage lifter nose

After having a tappet bearing go out and finding fillings in the oil filter I replaced all 4 tappet bearings, took the tappets apart and cleaned them,tore down the oil pump, cleaned all oil hoses, blew out tappet blocks etc. but than the back tappet would start making a loud noise after 6 miles out every time but would quit making noise after I pulled over for a minute than all would be well. So I replaced the back complete tappet and the noise ceased but than one of the front tappets started making major noise at about 10 miles out every time funny cause I never pulled the front tappet block etc. I'm thinking since I have normal oil pressure that I must have fillings from the old bearing plugging up an oil passage some where ?? Anyone have any thoughts as to fixing my problem ?

Old 08-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Primetime_2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1988 or 88in power plant

Old 08-13-2014, 05:46 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Starman321
After having a tappet bearing go out and finding fillings in the oil filter I replaced all 4 tappet bearings, took the tappets apart and cleaned them,tore down the oil pump, cleaned all oil hoses, blew out tappet blocks etc. but than the back tappet would start making a loud noise after 6 miles out every time but would quit making noise after I pulled over for a minute than all would be well. So I replaced the back complete tappet and the noise ceased but than one of the front tappets started making major noise at about 10 miles out every time funny cause I never pulled the front tappet block etc. I'm thinking since I have normal oil pressure that I must have fillings from the old bearing plugging up an oil passage some where ?? Anyone have any thoughts as to fixing my problem ?
Did you clean the lifter filter screen as well? Oil tank?
Did the pump body or feed/scavange gears get buggered?
Also a service bulletin that came down from the Moco back in the Evo days mandated that the lifters be "inspected and/or replaced at 25,000 miles."
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record