Queries about moving to Germany as a student

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:57 AM
Richu91
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Queries about moving to Germany as a student

Greetings All,

I have currently obtained an opportunity to pursue my dream of studying Masters in Renewable Energy in Germany, which will be in Berlin and for 2 years.

I am currently working in Kuwait in the Oil & Gas industry and own a beautiful Denim Black Harley Fatboy S.
As I personally will be financing my studies I have been trying to let go of my bike (with a heavy heart) but in vain as the motorcycle market here is very small and I would have to sell it off at less than half the price for a bike hardly used (14,000kms).

Hence, I have a few questions regarding the option of bringing the bike along with me to Germany.

1)Does being a student have any tax exemptions while bringing the bike into the country?

2)Can anybody give me an approximate for the whole cost involved for bringing my bike into Germany and registering it in my name?

3)Are there any establishments/agencies which will carry out all documentation in Germany including customs and registration?

Note: The bike is bone stock except for Harley LED Daymakers and is completely euro-spec as it is a middle-east variant.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:41 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I am sure the German government have a website where you can find most of the answers, in the Netherlands bringing in a bike as part of a house move is easy and not expensive (couple of 100Eur)

Old 03-15-2018, 03:37 AM
Richu91
1st Gear

Thank you for the reply,

I did find one website which mentions the tax free import of personal motorcycles but it only mentions that this is only applicable in case of transfer of residence. It also mentions that the owner should be present in the previous country for a while and that the vehicle should be owned in his respective name for more than a year.
I am of Indian origin and have been working and living in Kuwait for more than a decade and have owned the motorcycle for more than a year.
So my question is if coming to Germany as a student after cancellation of Kuwaiti visa is considered a transfer of residence?
The link of the website is given below:

http://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-indivi...ence_node.html

Anyform of advice from all senior members is highly appreciated

Old 03-15-2018, 06:28 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I would think so, you had a residence or working permit in Kuwait and now you are registring for a study on a permanent basis in Germany for which you need a residence permit as well I assume.

Here is some more help:

https://www.internations.org/germany...-germany-15968

Old 03-18-2018, 03:48 AM
Richu91
1st Gear

That sounds great

Old 05-20-2020, 10:10 AM
maikers
Stage II

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Hello everyone. I am a student, I need help in the implementation of academic work, namely in writing an essay. Can I choose a top rated essay writing service and at first, just find out the cost that the authors will offer me for writing my assignment? Thank you all for your comments.