Europe All of Europe "Hey, it's small!"

Hoggin the Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 AM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The warmth came from all the hot air and BS that you always get when thousands of bikers gather together. I thought I was cold but I saw one bloke riding around in a kilt.

I understand the Police have banned it this year. Some people say they want to ban all bike events in Wales. According to Motorcycle News they're planning to ban on all bikes riding in National Parks even on the main roads.

I've heard that Chepstow Council are trying to get it back on again because it's good for the town. One shopkeeper told me he'd sold more stuff that day than in the previous month. The Chinese takeaway was selling food out on the street and there was a long queue all day. They must have made a small fortune.

If it's on next year I will be there.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard recently that the Police had refused to attend and provide road duties (I cant say Ive ever noticed them having much of a prescenceat previous events anyway).

I've also heard they refused to provide similar service for a biker clubs charity easter egg hunt up in Cumbria this year. Conspiracy Theory?

Old 02-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master

I understand that up till now it's been supported by the Police at a local level but due to the size of it last year they've decided that future events must be Policed at a higher level.

For the past 10 years it's been organised by a few people supported by the Bridgwater Chapter HOG. The organisers simply decided to call it a day after 10 years of hard work. The Chapter also held a meeting and voted not to support it this year. I know that somebody else is planning to take it on. We will have to wait and see what happens.

I also know that Chepstow council are very keen to see it continue.

It's become a victim of its own success, that's the problem. No conspiracy.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 02-24-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I've finally bought myself some heated gloves (I have Raynaud's syndrome, so suffer badly from white finger if its even slightly cool) and have a windscreen on order which is wide enough to cover the hands (if it ever arrives, 8 weeks and still waiting) so was hopeful of being able to actually take part this year rather than just watching from the sidelines.

My conspiracy theory comment was with regard to attempts (and large degree of success) by the police to get numerous Biker Rallies and events cancelled over the past couple of years.

However, as you say, the turnout was huge last year. It's a pity they arent able to shut the bridge down to other traffic for 30 minutes or so. It didnt seem too bad last year, but the previous year from where I was stood on the pedestrain bridge near the start there were a number of pretty close shaves soon after the toll booths.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master

I've registered for Ride To The Wall this year but unfortunately I've found out that I won't be able to go. I will definately be doing Hoggin The Bridge if it happens. I like the bigger rides.

I did the Afghan Heroes run a couple of weeks ago. The Police at the start point reckoned that between 22,000 and 25,000 turned up on the day. They drafted in a lot of extra Police as a lot of bikers converged on the area over the weekend but there was no trouble whatsoever.

I was talking to a copper at Hullavington who told me that a lot of the Police at the event, especially those on bikes were doing it on unpaid overtime because they wanted to take part and support the troops in Afghanistan as much as anybody else. They did an excellent job.

Biker FM said that not one arrest was made all day. It was an amazing and emotionally charged day that I'll certainly not forget for a long time.

I hope you can make Hoggin The Bridge, there's nothing like taking part.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Shame you wont be able to make the Ride to the Wall.

I would have loved to take part in the Afghan Heroes ride, but unfortunately both the wife and I were'nt well due to some delightful bug doing the rounds. I did see the coverage on TV and a few bikers I know took part. It looked an amazing event although it didnt get as much TV coverage as it deserved, but then Hoggin the bridge doesnt either.

A couple of people said the organisation could have been better and the wait to actually get onto the airfield was overly long. But then, thats one heck of a lot of bikes to marshall.

I think these days when there is a large group of bikers gathered, there is probably more danger of one of us having a heart attack than getting into a fight <g>.

You never know, we might even get to meet up if Hoggin the Bridge goes ahead this year. I'm easy to spot, I'm the one on a Black Harl.......hmm perhaps that wont work after all.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
the ghost rider
2nd Gear

i live in chepstow and htb is realy good and the town comes alive hope its on this year!!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master

It's happening on Sunday 17th October this year. I've already entered and received my ticket.

Here's the web site for more info:

http://hogginthebridge.co.uk/shop/page/1?shop_param=

Following the decision by Bridgwater Chapter not to continue organising it a small group have formed the Hoggin the Bridge Club who will do it instead.

This is a charity fundraising event and for you to take part in the ride they ask for a donation....

For a donation of £5.00 you will recieve a headlight sticker which gets you into Severn View Services, Aust.

For a donation of £10.00 you will recieve a headlight sticker and a ticket to collect a pin badge in Chepstow.

For a donation of £20.00 you will recieve a headlight sticker, a ticket to collect a pin badge and T-Shirt in Chepstow.

The T-shirt's and/or pin badge's must be pre-ordered and can only be collected by producing the ticket at the Hoggin the Bridge Club stall in Chepstow on the day.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 07-21-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:19 AM
Draig
Cruiser

Glad to hear someone has taken on the hard work to keep this event going.
I did it 3 times several years ago when I still lived in the Uk.
Always well attended and strongly suported by the locals.
A good day out - although somewhat cold usually!
Have fun this year - alittle too far to travel for me now:-)
D

Old 08-26-2010, 03:04 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Draig
Glad to hear someone has taken on the hard work to keep this event going.
I did it 3 times several years ago when I still lived in the Uk.
Always well attended and strongly suported by the locals.
A good day out - although somewhat cold usually!
Have fun this year - alittle too far to travel for me now:-)
D
If you set off on the bike now, you just might make it in time :-)