Europe All of Europe "Hey, it's small!"

Hoggin the Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoggin the Bridge

Its the 10th anniversary of this event on Sunday 18th October 2009.

There are likely to be 5000+ bikes riding across the old Severn Bridge from the English side and on into Chepstow. Departure is at around 11am, but its best to arrive quite a while ahead of that time. Meeting place is what used to be called Aust Service area which is on the English side of the old Severn Bridge.

The event is organised by the Bridgewater branch of HOG but its open to everyone and it to raise money for charity. I'm not involved in any way with this event but usually turn up to watch (unfortunately its always been too cold for me to be able to participate personally....ok. I'm a wimp)

Old 10-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was on the M4 just before dawn and I was freezing my knackers off. I met up with a load of other blokes at Cribbs Causeway. When I got there I found that I'd left all the ventilation zips on my jacket open.

There must have been about 6000 bikes. There were certainly more than last year and it was a bit of a pig finding somewhere to park in Chepstow. We eventually found a space next to the castle.

I've heard a rumor that it may be the last one.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master

The rumor was correct. The organizers have announced in the local press they won't be doing it again next year.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 PM
88b
Tourer

That's a shame I've never made it to hoggin the bridge, Sunday was our chapter AGM and I needed to be there.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:07 PM
jaktexas
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Any pictures of this?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master

Originally Posted by jaktexas
Any pictures of this?
There's lots of stuff on YouTube. Type in 'Hoggin the bridge 2009'.

It's a shame if it is the last one but all good things come to an end. I just think it got too big. Everybody had real problems getting into Chepstow after the run and loads of bikes overheated coming up the hill just outside town.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 10-23-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Moggy1
Stage I

Never say never, looks like it may be back on after talks with the local police, lets just hope so
Moggy

Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master

That's good news. I enjoy this event, everybody you see has a big grin on their face and the locals love it. It's the last big event that a lot of people do each year and it's a good way of ending the rally season.

My mate went on his H**da. He was some distance behind me on the run so I lost him. He pulled over at the top of the hill into Chepstow to let his bike cool down and he dumped all his coolant and had to wait 2 hours for the AA to turn up to take him home. It was his first HTB and even though he never made it into Chepstow he thoroughly enjoyed himself and wants to go next year.

I was getting ready to leave in the evening when a little old lady came up and thanked me for coming to her town. She said that she looked forward to seeing all the bikes every year and talking to all the bikers because they were always so friendly and fun to talk to.

I'll probably volunteer to marshal next year if that will help at all.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Fraggenstein
Advanced

This was the first time i attended,a great day out,i was amazed how many people were lining the route as we rolled through the villages.
Was a bit of a killer on the clutch and the first time i've ever been in a traffic jam on the M4 caused by bikes - LOL

It's looking as though this will not be the last one as Chepstow County Councillor's are stepping in to keep it going,see attached link:-
http://www.thebestof.co.uk/local/por...icle012443.htm

Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

I hadnt checked back on this thread until now. I was there again on the day (in the cage) busily taking photographs and wishing I was taking part. It was an extreemly cold day again, although it did seem to warm up a little while the bikes were waiting at the service area, perhaps the heat generated from all the Harley engines. As usual, the atmosphere was brilliant and a great day was had by all. The only rumour I had heard was that they were planning to take a year off, but I havent heard any further news about 2010 or future years.

Quick Reply: Hoggin the Bridge