EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Power Commander III usb

Old 09-22-2014, 08:08 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 498 Posts
Default Power Commander III usb

Hello, all. I am totally new to efi, but want to learn. I have a 1998 flhtcui that the previous owner has put a screaming eagle air cleaner and drag pipes. I only really use it when my wife decides to ride, or when I'm working on my flht. This bike runs hot, like bake your inner thigh hot. I'm thinking that I need to richen it up a bit. I spoke with the folks at Power Commander, explained my bike, and they even recommended a tune to start with (has been great dealing with Chris). I'm sure some of you guys have had experience with them, and I wonder if you just put them in and go. Any advice on the PC III?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:21 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

They have always helped me when learning EFI and maps, you shouldn't need much fuel added maybe except the drag pipe pulling everything out of your cylinders and running lean. You will need to understand how to hook a laptop to your PC3, display the map and send it to Dynojet, let them tweak it, send it back and reload it back to the bike.

Your map will have a 0 in cells meaning no fuel has been added to that area, +1 will be .1 AFR added in that area which will richen it, more fuel will cool it down until too much fuel will flat spot it. PC3 also has 3 buttons on the outside of the box that can manually richen a map in 3 different areas: low, mid and high rpms, read the directions to make adjustments to each area which is .5 AFR for each line moved but all of this is just a educated guess to tune it a only a AFR sampling system can tell where each cell is at in tuning EFI. A Dyno is a non guess to EFI tuning but the tuner won't be impressed with drag pipes to tune it. If Dynojet abandons you then move the low and mid range area up 1 line with the buttons to richen it, see if the heat goes away and use mpg and plug checking to get a ball park but checking plugs with EFI can be deceptive. Let me know if I can help

Old 09-23-2014, 06:30 AM
flhchaz
Club Member

Wow. Thanks for the great info. I definitely feel more confident now. I think I'm going to order the PC III USB from Brian at fuel moto. Seems like a good company to deal with. Is there way to tell if the ecm has the stock map on it? Or would I need a scanalyzer for that?

Old 09-23-2014, 04:19 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Fuel Moto will load a map for you that will be close, they have alot of experiance with a PC3, you can open up the map and see where they added fuel like mentioned earlier, can also open up the timing section and see where timing is added or add and remove timing yourself.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:51 AM
RCermak
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got my PCIII from Fule Motto, good deal. Like you I was running very Hot after some mods. Kept loading up after the PCIII and found out that I had to go negative where ever I had a zero. Didnt know you could til a Great person from this forum sent me his MAP. Now all is well. I would recommend changing the zeros to -11 or so and then watch your plugs

Old 09-24-2014, 08:56 AM
flhchaz
Club Member

Thanks for the info!

Old 09-24-2014, 11:38 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Why would you take a area with no fuel added to the base map and take fuel away, a PC3 is altering a base map, if you had a ETS failed dumping fuel then taking fuel away would band aid it with a PC3 meaning without a PC3 it would be flooding the engine 0 is a 0 fuel added to the factory map, cams and other mods require more fuel added except in the 100 percent TPS at 4000 to 6000 rpm range and negative fuel settings will start.

Would be interested in seeing the map loaded in that PC3

Old 09-24-2014, 04:44 PM
RCermak
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Right, it was Killing me. B4 it ran so Hot that the ignition melted. After with the PCIII and the Fuel Moto Map ran nice & cool BUT would load up bad when I came to a stop or eased off the gas while cruising. I tried everything & was told that it had to be Pro tuned $$ A Guy from this forum offered up his MAP I loaded it and all problems GONE. Only diff I could see was the Neg numbers where I had zeros.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:39 AM
flhchaz
Club Member

Can you email a map? If so, would you email it to me at chaz@lbail.com ?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:15 PM
BigOlia66
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 flhx stall on deceleration PC III, Rhinehart true duels and Stage 1 air cleaner, any answers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Commander III usb