EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Avon Grips

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

I have Avon Air with throttle assist on my 95 ... great grips!
When changing the grips the SM says to insert a spacer to prevent damage to the brake switch ....

Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Got them changed. Before going for a ride I was checking lights etc and found that my brake lights no longer work.

I did have the clam shell opened and struggled reattaching the throttle cables, so maybe something happened during that?
Pics or it didn't happen please? Lol

Old 11-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,147 Likes on 6,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy1389
I have Avon Air with throttle assist on my 95 ... great grips! When changing the grips the SM says to insert a spacer to prevent damage to the brake switch ....
Crap!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:48 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Got them changed. Before going for a ride I was checking lights etc and found that my brake lights no longer work.

I did have the clam shell opened and struggled reattaching the throttle cables, so maybe something happened during that?

Just your front brake lever or foot and hand?

FWIW I had the same problem (hand lever) and all I did was loosen the switch housing and roll it forward slightly and then it worked.
I don't know why but it did and it is worth a try.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Prot
Club Member

I fixed it. The front brake switch is a small button on the lower clam shell housing. When it is not pressed, the brake light switch is on. All I did was repositioned it so it was pressed and when the front brake lever is squeezed, it releases the button, completing the circuit. So, I learned a little something about my bike while doing this. That's always s good thing.

Unrelated but amusing just the same. Last night I was dreaming I was riding my bike in the rain. When I woke up I was covered in sweat. At first I thought I had pissed in the bed, but it was just a whole lot of sweat over my entire body.

Last edited by Prot; 11-04-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, when you break the switch by not using a spacer when removing the lever, the brake light switch fails on, not off. And the odds of breaking that switch are pretty much 100% if you don't use the cardboard spacer. Got the T shirt......

Old 11-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
Yeah, when you break the switch by not using a spacer when removing the lever, the brake light switch fails on, not off. And the odds of breaking that switch are pretty much 100% if you don't use the cardboard spacer. Got the T shirt......
You fail at statistics.

Nothing was broken and I did not use a spacer. It works fine now.

So much for 100% failure for not using cardboard or other spacer.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

You fail at statistics.

Nothing was broken and I did not use a spacer. It works fine now.

So much for 100% failure for not using cardboard or other spacer.
You were just lucky. The procedure for using a spacer is not just an old trick, it's in the manual.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 AM
Prot
Club Member

I forgot to mention that when I started the installation I discovered the adjustment for the throttle cables were completely out of whack, with a lot of excess slack. I probably still need to make small adjustments but I have it pretty close right now.

I am not sure if it is because having properly adjusted cables or the fact that the paddle makes it easier to grab a whole lot of throttle, but last night night's ride was intense. It accelerates a lot quicker and I am riding as if it is much lighter bike. It's like it just compounded the gains I made with the engine work this time last year. I kept finding myself being pushed backwards in the seat due to the acceleration.

I am going to have to get used to the paddle. It's great at speed but sucks at low speed. They should have left more room between the paddle and the inboard side of the grip that way during low speed maneuvers there would be more room to put my hand for normal throttle operation. The grips themselves feel good, so it is just the paddle placement that I wish was a little better.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:40 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I forgot to mention that when I started the installation I discovered the adjustment for the throttle cables were completely out of whack, with a lot of excess slack. I probably still need to make small adjustments but I have it pretty close right now.

I am not sure if it is because having properly adjusted cables or the fact that the paddle makes it easier to grab a whole lot of throttle, but last night night's ride was intense. It accelerates a lot quicker and I am riding as if it is much lighter bike. It's like it just compounded the gains I made with the engine work this time last year. I kept finding myself being pushed backwards in the seat due to the acceleration.

I am going to have to get used to the paddle. It's great at speed but sucks at low speed. They should have left more room between the paddle and the inboard side of the grip that way during low speed maneuvers there would be more room to put my hand for normal throttle operation. The grips themselves feel good, so it is just the paddle placement that I wish was a little better.
I have mine fitted but not finished yet. Still in the middle of the new bars and radio install. But I am hoping the throttle boss isn't a nuisance like you have stated. I have a throttle boss on my metric with the kurykyn iso grips. That boss is much smaller, and doesn't interfere with the throttle twist function at all. The reason I went with these avon is because of the larger boss assist. I love the way they look so far. Although they aren't plug and play as one might think. The left grip has the clutch slide sleeve that needs to be cut off, and the throttle grip was snug on the bars and didn't move freely. That will undoubtedly improve when the cables actually get on it from the carb. I am still working to get that better by sanding down the bars, just need to break out the polishing bits and get them real smooth and it should be good to go. Not real sure if it is a bar or grip issue, just needs tweaking. I have to rebuild the barb and replace the cables yet so it's a process for sure. Good thing I can ride my other bike in the mean time. I had hoped to have it all done by now. But mine and other family vehicle break downs and repairs have consumed my time. Got a few miles in last weekend finally. Winter in WI is almost a distant memory.

Quick Reply: Avon Grips