EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Avon Grips

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:36 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,174 Likes on 6,218 Posts

I have gotten more used to the paddle, but I find it interferes with front braking, especially in emergency stops. In the process of messing with that I found my front brakes were badly worn. The new pads improved things, but I still don't like how it affects my front braking in emergencies. I have not decided what to do about it, but then again I have not been riding much due to poor health.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:47 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I have gotten more used to the paddle, but I find it interferes with front braking, especially in emergency stops. In the process of messing with that I found my front brakes were badly worn. The new pads improved things, but I still don't like how it affects my front braking in emergencies. I have not decided what to do about it, but then again I have not been riding much due to poor health.
I'm in a position right now to change them out and appreciate your feedback. Thinking now that I may just put 'em on ebay for sale and get some other ones without the boss. Don't care for the setup on adjusting the boss either having to take the damn grip off is a bitch just for tweaking the position of it. I did get a paddle to mount onto my throttle lock **** under the cable housing. Should make that much easier to use. So that should give me some relief right there.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:49 AM
marktruckee
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got off of phone with Avon yesterday. The Avon throttle side grip I bought from JP was way too small. I could get grip onto to stock 1" bars, but there was no clearance, for the throttle to twist.

The tech I spoke to was amazed that I was having this problem. With no hesitation, they are sending me a replacement throttle side grip.

If the replacement works, this company has the greatest customer service I've seen in quite some time. If I have the same issue, guess I'll switch to another brand.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

This is what I use. Easy on/off, simple to adjust.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kuryakyn-Uni...094e80&vxp=mtr

Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 AM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Cramp Buster

This is what I use with Avon Custom Contour Chrome Grips:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/510-280

These are the Avon grips I use:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/501-301

The CrampBuster works very well, BUT I have learned to re-position it when I get off the Interstate or it WILL interfere with the front brake lever. I just had to learn that one thing, & no more problems.

Ride Safe,
Harold

Old 03-20-2015, 09:56 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by marktruckee
Just got off of phone with Avon yesterday. The Avon throttle side grip I bought from JP was way too small. I could get grip onto to stock 1" bars, but there was no clearance, for the throttle to twist.

The tech I spoke to was amazed that I was having this problem. With no hesitation, they are sending me a replacement throttle side grip.

If the replacement works, this company has the greatest customer service I've seen in quite some time. If I have the same issue, guess I'll switch to another brand.
Did you get the new grip yet? And does is move freely? I may have to do the same thing.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:32 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
Did you get the new grip yet? And does is move freely? I may have to do the same thing.
If your throttle grip isn't moving freely check 2 things.
1) Make sure your throttle lock isn't partially engaged.
2) Pull off your throttle grip and make sure gunk hasn't built up between the handle bar and the grip. (Happened to me once on a Honda I had.)

Old 03-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

AVON customer service is great! I bought the grips off of the internet from Riders Discount and installed myself 3 years ago.
I visited their booth at the Daytona Intl Speedway 2 weeks ago and mentioned that my throttle assist was loose and moved while riding down to Fla from Ga, without hesitation, they offered to remove the grip and repair it for free.
Did I mention the rubber is guaranteed for life and they sell the end caps separately for 10 bucks for those of us that manage to damage them ....

Old 03-20-2015, 12:02 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If your throttle grip isn't moving freely check 2 things.
1) Make sure your throttle lock isn't partially engaged.
2) Pull off your throttle grip and make sure gunk hasn't built up between the handle bar and the grip. (Happened to me once on a Honda I had.)
New bars and new grips. Cables aren't even attached yet. No grit or lube of any kind under grip. I like to keep them dry and lube free so dirt doesn't accumulate. Strange though the dealer actually lubed them for me when I had it in for service last year. But I have read not to lube the bars. I still have everything tore apart and am going to get back to it this weekend. It's not bad but there is a little drag. The oem grip I took off doesn't drag at all. I have taken some emory paper to the bars and plan on using a dremel polishing but of various grits to finish it up. I am fairly certain its just a little deformity on the ends of the PYO bars, and not the grips. We shall see, I will make them work.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 AM
marktruckee
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
received new throttle grip. Issues still remains. Also re-read instructions - for clutch side, I am supposed to trim the grip. Haven't replaced a lot of grips in my days, maybe 6, but never recall that I need to cut the end of the clutch grip before gluing in place. These are going back.

Quick Reply: Avon Grips