EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Avon Grips

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:55 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by marktruckee
received new throttle grip. Issues still remains. Also re-read instructions - for clutch side, I am supposed to trim the grip. Haven't replaced a lot of grips in my days, maybe 6, but never recall that I need to cut the end of the clutch grip before gluing in place. These are going back.

I had the same thought about returning mine also. Unfortunate I already trimmed the clutch side. I did however reach out to Avon about the issue. They did respond and said if I wanted to send them back the throttle grip they would indeed exchange it for free. I am going to work the bars and see if I can still make them work. If not they are going to eBay, as my window for return has probably expired. Oh well, I do still like the style, we'll see what happens.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:35 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by marktruckee
received new throttle grip. Issues still remains. Also re-read instructions - for clutch side, I am supposed to trim the grip. Haven't replaced a lot of grips in my days, maybe 6, but never recall that I need to cut the end of the clutch grip before gluing in place. These are going back.
You have to trim it because it is made for the new bikes.
The newer bikes switch housing has a space for the extra bit on the grips to fit into and prevents them from twisting or sliding off the end.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

I used a reciprocating saw to trim mine then cleaned up the edges with a file. It was pretty easy and I did it alone.

Use caution when working on the throttle side with regarding to the brake light switch.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Got my Avon AirSS grips to work finally. I had a bit of drag on the throttle grip when it was fully on the bar. Had an idea to just lightly hone it. So I did just that and it worked perfectly. I also guestimated where the throttle boss should be and tightened it. I have found that it is tight enough to be fully functional and I can still move it when needed without removing the grip from the bar if needed. The big boss is very helpful reducing hand cramps. I don't find that it gets in the way when braking at all. The throttle lock works as well just not very use friendly, does the job in a pinch.

Attached Thumbnails Avon Grips-wp_20150418_20_59_23_pro.jpg  
Old 04-21-2015, 02:05 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I put iso grips and the paddle on mine with no issues at all.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:21 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
I put iso grips and the paddle on mine with no issues at all.
I have the ISO grips on my metric and really like them as well. Just wanted something different on this one. Both have the boss, the Avon boss is much bigger. Both are functional.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Prot
Club Member

Thought I would update this thread. The paddle still is causing me problems with braking, especially in emergency stops or other instances where I need to stop quickly and unexpectedly. I still like the Avons, so I will try to buy just a regular one for throttle side and get a throttle locking device of some sort to use on the interstate.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:13 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I have found the paddle will move with firm effort to position it so it isn't in the way for street riding.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:20 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Prot
Thought I would update this thread. The paddle still is causing me problems with braking, especially in emergency stops or other instances where I need to stop quickly and unexpectedly. I still like the Avons, so I will try to buy just a regular one for throttle side and get a throttle locking device of some sort to use on the interstate.
You can't adjust it? I have mine just tight enough to be completely functional, yet still be able to move it if needed. I love it! I would also like to mention I changed the levers to fat style ones, maybe that changed the lever position not being stock? And I also found a way over priced thumb lever that screws onto my old thumb screw throttle lock. No more turn turn turn to get it locked and unlocked. Now its just push lever all the way out to lock, and back to unlock. That made cruising and resting my cramped hand much easier. Just a couple suggestions. I can get ya some more info if interested.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:29 PM
Prot
Club Member

I hadn't thought about changing my levers, but maybe that is something I will look at.

I'll see if I can find a position to rotate the paddle to not interfere with the brakes. I can tell you, in an emergency stop, it sucks to only be able to grab the inboard part of the brake lever. My hands are small, so maybe that is part of the problem too.