EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Avon Grips

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:46 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts
Default Avon Grips

My grips are wearing out. I have the Harley ones that are chrome with horizontal rubber inserts. They have been good but after six years they are worn out. I thought this time I would try out a set that has the throttle assist. I never tried those before but I have always been curious about them.

After looking around at a multitude of grips online I stumbled across Avon, which is a company that started out by making stuff for golfers. I saw a few of their offerings on sites like Dennis Kirk and JP Cycles. I decided to have a look at their website and discovered they have more styles and types than I thought. They are also made in the USA.

Here are the ones I settled on.

http://avongrips.com/shop/products/A...le-Assist.html

I just placed my order and will update this thread when they arrive.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:54 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I went from Kuryakyn ISO to Avons. Only issue I have is that the throttle grip has to be removed to adjust the paddle.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Looks cool but you are gonna have to trim down that left hand grip so that it fits right.
Our switch housings won't accommodate the newer grips.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Prot
Club Member

When I placed the order it had me me fill out the model and year of my bike, so we'll see what happens.

Worse case scenario I end up returning them and pick up another set like I have now which are these:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ber-hand-grips

Old 10-29-2014, 04:40 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been very happy with my Avons. I ended up with the ones with 3 vertical segments, the rubber is textured and pretty firm, but they never get slippery and never bother my hands.. Great purchase.. So many are totally uncomfortable or cheaply made.. I've got a buddy who has the HD ones(or at least a set that looks just like them) and the rubber leaves his hands black, and has begun to rip off.. He hates em, horrible quality..

Old 10-29-2014, 07:27 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
My grips are wearing out. I have the Harley ones that are chrome with horizontal rubber inserts. They have been good but after six years they are worn out. I thought this time I would try out a set that has the throttle assist. I never tried those before but I have always been curious about them.

After looking around at a multitude of grips online I stumbled across Avon, which is a company that started out by making stuff for golfers. I saw a few of their offerings on sites like Dennis Kirk and JP Cycles. I decided to have a look at their website and discovered they have more styles and types than I thought. They are also made in the USA.

Funny I ordered the exact same grips to change out the exact same harley grips. But I have yet to put them on. Waiting for my apes install this winter to put em on. And I have had the Kurakyn ISO grips on my metric with the throttle boss for a cpl yrs now. Love em, it certainly helps with you palming the boss to settle down hand cramps. Just didn't like that style for the harley, those Avons fit the finish much better. And the bigger boss has got to be an improvement.

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 10-29-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:42 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot

Got Avons on my 97 EG I do like them Now as mentioned, have to remove grip to adjust paddle. That's the only dislike i have about them.
WP

Old 10-30-2014, 10:35 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have the avon grips on a sporty , they work great never had to adjust anything once there on ,I put about 100 miles one day just riding around no problem with them ,I would like a set for my 94

Old 11-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Prot
Club Member

They arrived yesterday and look good. The left one requires sawing off the inboard end. Before doing that, I figured a trial fit would be smart to do.

The inside of it is way too small for my bars, then I realized that the last inch or so is reduced diameter and is the right size.

I dug up my service manual to review how the right side comes apart and attaches to the cable.

I was on call last night with a lot going on so I couldn't mess with it too much.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Prot
Club Member

Got them changed. Before going for a ride I was checking lights etc and found that my brake lights no longer work.

I did have the clam shell opened and struggled reattaching the throttle cables, so maybe something happened during that?

Quick Reply: Avon Grips