EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dim indicator lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
So, the led's just replace the original bulbs without any other modification?
Yes that is what I understand. I mailed mine to Prot, maybe he will post up a how to thread.

I posted up the part numbers a while ago if we need to dig them up. I got them at Brightasslights.com.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:03 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

I just got back home to Lafayette after spending a week in Houston on business.

I will stop by the dealer to get new lenses. When I get around to installing them, I will take pictures as I go.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Prot
Club Member

The LED's won't work. They are a push in type and mine are a round type socket. There is no pig tail or anything so there is no way to wire them in unless I could find an appropriate socket somewhere.

That being said, the problems I am having with dim indicator lights became obvious once I took the dash off. The high beam had a tiny bulb in it that was the wrong type and illuminated extremely dim. All of the bulbs had a lot of dirt and dust on them, which prevented them from shining as brightly as they should.

Since the bulbs looked old anyway, I bought new ones instead of just cleaning them.

I then washed the interior of the dash with dishwashing liquid and used q-tips to clean the colored lenses out. There was a lot of of grimy dust in there.

After everything dried out, I put it back together with the new bulbs and everything works better than it ever has since I bought this bike.

So, I am happy with the results and didn't spend much money.

Whoever wants the LED's can have them for free or I could mail them back.

I will post pictures tonight.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prot
The LED's won't work. They are a push in type and mine are a round type socket. There is no pig tail or anything so there is no way to wire them in unless I could find an appropriate socket somewhere.

That being said, the problems I am having with dim indicator lights became obvious once I took the dash off. The high beam had a tiny bulb in it that was the wrong type and illuminated extremely dim. All of the bulbs had a lot of dirt and dust on them, which prevented them from shining as brightly as they should.

Since the bulbs looked old anyway, I bought new ones instead of just cleaning them.

I then washed the interior of the dash with dishwashing liquid and used q-tips to clean the colored lenses out. There was a lot of of grimy dust in there.

After everything dried out, I put it back together with the new bulbs and everything works better than it ever has since I bought this bike.

So, I am happy with the results and didn't spend much money.

Whoever wants the LED's can have them for free or I could mail them back.

I will post pictures tonight.
Traildog has been talking about the LED's for a while, I wonder if they will fit his bike?

BTW the lens pops out from the back, there are little clips on it if you look closely, seems three up top and two on the bottom, if you want to remove it for a good cleaning.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Traildog has been talking about the LED's for a while, I wonder if they will fit his bike? BTW the lens pops out from the back, there are little clips on it if you look closely, seems three up top and two on the bottom, if you want to remove it for a good cleaning.
Mine has two bolts that hold a plastic divider thing. I am not sure if the lenses are attached to the plastic divider or not, but the q-tips got the job done with Dawn with oxyclean

I am not sure when they switched to a flat push in type bulb in there. Mine is a 95.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,702 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Mine has two bolts that hold a plastic divider thing. I am not sure if the lenses are attached to the plastic divider or not, but the q-tips got the job done with Dawn with oxyclean

I am not sure when they switched to a flat push in type bulb in there. Mine is a 95.
The lenses are not attached to the plastic divider. If you remove the two little screws and the clips, everything comes out in pieces. The lenses used to be sold individually by Harley, and can still be found on occasion on eBay. To reassemble, you set the metal divider strip in place then rest the lenses in the opening like a little jigsaw puzzle, then attach the divider to hold everything together.

FWIW, LED bulbs can be obtained for our bikes, but you need the type with the 9mm round bayonet mount base. I put LED bulbs in my speedometer for better night illumination, but haven't changed the warning lights. 95 was the last year for the old "Shovelhead" style Softail dash. '96 and up uses a completely different design.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 11-14-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

On my 95 Road King the indicator lens was still available from Harley, and it popped out from the back by depressing 5 little tangs as I recall.

Here's my thread with an exploded diagram linked in.

Prot I'm sorry those bulbs didn't work out for you, maybe you could mail them to Traildog? He's been inquiring about brighter bulbs for a long time, he even chimed in my thread of 18 months ago so he's consistently wanted brighter bulbs.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...road-king.html

If you decide to go old school cat eye dash, it comes with LED's that are a lot brighter than the incandescents. I can actually see my blinker light from the corner of my eye with this setup.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...cs-inside.html

Originally Posted by Joe_G
First of all, great thanks to Redbeard with his help on this project.

A former 03 heritage springer owner, he recently built a terrific newer springer. Here is his thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ect-build.html

His old school cat eye dash looked great to me so I decided to follow suit. He gave me great instructions and the parts list.

It's an easy job, only tricky part is you have to make a little plate to mount the retaining bolt lower.

Here are some before and after pics, and a pic of the little plate I made.

Before

Little plate necessary

Finished product.

I'm not sure it's the best bang for the buck mod, as its a pretty esoteric change, but it adds a nice old school look to the springer in my opinion.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:52 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

I'm pretty sure mine are the pushing type. Can you post a pic prot?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by traildog
I'm pretty sure mine are the pushing type. Can you post a pic prot?
td you should still have the round metel end that goes in the socket , the led are flat with tiny wire over the ends

Old 11-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Prot
Club Member

Here are the pictures of them with a quarter for reference of size.

Last edited by Prot; 04-20-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Dim indicator lights