EVO All Evo Model Discussion

VOES/Coil question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 07:19 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default VOES/Coil question

Can either one of these be bad even if they check out as being ok? I did not use a vacuum pump on the VOES, just sucked on the vacuum hose until I heard the switch close and toom a resistance reading; will get a pump tomorrow.

Trying to track down a stutter/dying problem that ironically turned out to not be an intake leak.

Narrowed down to bad plug wires or VOES. Thought the VOES hose may have had a hole worn in it but I cant see one.

EDIT: Some additional info; idle got rough on way back from Gainesville, hard to start. When I got into Tallahassee it stuttered and hiccuped in the front cyl and farted out carb. Sprayed WD around intake... No leaks, but held RPM off idle to 3k RPM for a few secs, chopped throttle and died, so here is where I'm at. Plugs good, coil good, VOES good, but possible hole in vacuum line.

Last edited by tmanbuckhunter; 11-14-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

we see this type of issue all the time - and no one AH HA its this - you should do a couple of things, drain all the fuel out and use it in the lawn mower if the grass become 2 feet tall thats it, no sorry - remove the petcock and see how clean it is, replace the intake seals and the low speed jet in the carb, checking the voes needs an OHM meter to see if its consistant in its operation --

Old 11-14-2014, 08:08 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

VOES can randomly work when it gets old. Mine would throw random numbers on the ohm meter and give me problems at various times. Ohm meter wouldn't give a consistent 0 reading. Without an ohm meter you'll be guessing if it's working. Also I ripped my apart after and found gas in it. My thought was my petcock was bad at some point and someone repaired before I owned it and didn't know that the gas had gone into the VOES. Also don't waste your money on the pump unless you want to check and see if you're lines are holding vacuum. VOES check is fine just sucking the hose. Just do it multiple times in a row to see if it zeros each time

Last edited by br549A1; 11-14-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:33 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Didnt check VOES multiple times; just once. Guess I will yank it off and check it again. Going to put fresh gas in it too... Petcock is clean, checked that a few months ago. I really don't think it is an intake leak but intake gaskets are cheap anyways... They're only 9 months old; gonna replace plug wires too... Theyre pushing 20 years old. Guess its a mix of ****....

Oh yeah, for you non-edumuhkated types, resistence is ohms.

EDIT: Should add that idle jet only has a few thou on it... Changed it back in May... Not to say I didnt get bad gas somewhere and it got clogged, but it def isnt varnish; this bike gets ridden everyday. If this sucker has an intake leak, even though I coated the manifold in WD40, I'm gonna be pissed. Like I said... those gaskets are only 9 months old and have 10k on them.

Last edited by tmanbuckhunter; 11-14-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:42 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

I had bad plug wires too. When I bent them they would lose connection inside. Looked fine outside. You can pull the hose off the carb then suck on it from that side or the other without removing VOES. You can lift the back of the tank and connect the meter there at the VOES harness or just go to the main harness. Forget which pins though. I checked mine while it was installed

Last edited by br549A1; 11-14-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:58 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kp877
I had bad wires too. When I bent them they would lose connection inside. Looked fine outside. You can pull the hose off the carb then suck on it from that side or the other without removing VOES. You can lift the back of the tank and connect the meter there at the VOES harness or just go to the main harness. Forget which pins though. I checked mine while it was installed
Been there done that, already pulled hose off since it rubbed itself pretty bad against the top motor mount... Easier to check when off. Checking off the pins dont matter if you probe both... One is power, one is common/ground; you can probe hot and then go to ground on the frame of the bike... Doesnt matter much though... KISS concept applies here.

Plug wires are a definite must though... Maybe I should pull the heads and jugs off 10k miles into the last top end job and go in with an axtel 85" kit and S&S heads. No, I aint got enough money...

Old 11-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Compression test.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:25 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

I really dont think that is necessary... Head gasket is most certainly not blown. I run my hand around both heads and cant feel hot air or compression escaping anywhere; no sign kf it being blown.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:39 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

What was the resistance reading on the meter when you checked VOES?

Old 11-15-2014, 06:41 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kp877
What was the resignation stance reading on the meter when you checked VOES?
Under 1ohm per FSM.

Quick Reply: VOES/Coil question