EVO All Evo Model Discussion

help 1990 electra glide sissy bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:57 PM
N-Truder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kids got me everything for Christmas to make my '92 a "quick detach" tour-pak.

It takes at least 3 kits to do it. It's not an exact installation. There were slight changes made through the model years. Cut to the chase....look up docking/quick detach stuff for a '96. I can't remember all the part #'s but is pretty easy to find.

Your stock seat won't fit without changing the bracket at the rear to the bottom of the seat and then install a "nutsert" into the fender to bolt the back of it down.

The sissy bar mounting takes a 3rd docking kit that only the front of the sissy bar uses. The Tour Pac uses the basic 2. Your Tour-Pac will have to be drilled to mount to the new "detachable" bracket.

egidegoodies.com has most of the stuff but you'll spend upwards of $400.00 to do it.

The original HD stuff pops up on eBay on a regular basis but it goes quick...

Old 02-28-2015, 04:04 PM
N-Truder
Cruiser

Here is what your "supposed" to use for that model year for a removable Tout-Pac.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:09 PM
N-Truder
Cruiser

Here's the better setup. The only thing you'll need is the license plate bracket and loop that the license plate bracket mounts. That loop is the first thing that goes on the bike. It ties the LH & RH frame ends together. It's the horizontal loop that looks like it goes under the seat.

Last edited by N-Truder; 02-28-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:13 PM
N-Truder
Cruiser

This is the kit you need for the sissy bar. This is the dock kit that the front of the sissy bar needs.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:54 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got the parts N-Truder showed in his pics that match what I have on my 2006 Electraglide. They will bolt directly on my 1980 Shovelhead FLT. From there, you can run a quick disconnect sissy bar. I have my hardware powercoated black, so when the tourpac or the sissy bar are neither on the bike, the brackets are pretty well hidden.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:22 PM
N-Truder
Cruiser

Couple of other things. Your antenna needs to be a quick disconnect also or moved, I moved mine. I just undid all of mine from the Tour-Pac, used plastic hole plugs for the old antenna holes), and fashoned a plate to mount the antenna to the rear/lower exhaust hanger bracket, (actually the lower saddlebag support at the rear). I use a stubby antenna with the Tour-Pac on and the full length one with the Pac off.

Also, the "U" bracket that mounts to the bottom of the TourpPac, you'll need to drill new holes in your Tour-Pac. Mount the "U" as far forward on the Pac that you can to give the passenger enough room. ALSO.... when you drill the new holes, it looks like the "U" will line up perfectly with the channel formed into the bottom of the Pac, it does. But be aware, that is were they run the wires for the Pac sidelights. You should drill all the rivets out and remove the inner plate before drilling the holes so you don't cut/drill the wires.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by N-Truder
The only thing you'll need is the license plate bracket and loop that the license plate bracket mounts. That loop is the first thing that goes on the bike. It ties the LH & RH frame ends together. It's the horizontal loop that looks like it goes under the seat.
Good luck finding that bracket. It came on the Electra Glide Sport, and is probably the single most impossible part to find for these old EG's. The part number is; 47349-83A . They show up on eBay once in a rarity. Pinwall and RSI are your best bet on eBay, to find the part.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 PM
crazydawgs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the inputs. I found a random sissy bar I picked up for $20. Modified the mounts drilled 2 holes in my fender (cant see them) mounted it with bolts and spacers and this is what I came up with. Its not quick disconnect but will do for now until I can purchase all the parts for the tour pak eventually. Thanks again for the ideas tips and info...

Old 02-28-2015, 08:38 PM
N-Truder
Cruiser

Looks awesome. I'm gonna have to get one.

How the hell did you find one and get it mounted so fast?

Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 PM
crazydawgs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a craigslist guy lol I found a guy who had all sorts of parts for ealier model harleys I even ungraded head light to the diamond cut headlight all together it costed me $40 for headlight trim ring and sissy bar. Only took a hour to take everything apart and drill new holes and mount it lol

Quick Reply: help 1990 electra glide sissy bar