EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I love my Evo

Old 04-12-2018, 10:29 PM
husky390
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm touring on mine for 10 days through Yellowstone and if for some reason it has a catastrophic failure, I'm going to buy a cheap used bike so my wife and I can finish our trip and then I'm going to head back to the dealership the following weekend and bring my bike home. The TC and up Harley's don't do it for me and that's how much I love this thing.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:45 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Gone Blue
That's what we call my buddies 99' where I think the 1st half of the model year used EVO's and the 2nd half Twinkies? In any case there are a lot of one year special Twinkie parts on that bike. G.B.
If you're talking about every Dyna and Touring model in 1999 then yea, I guess it's sort of a unicorn.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:20 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

I love my 99 Softail Custom. It only has 54,000 on it now, and is just getting broken in. Only done 2 things to it other than regular maintenance. I changed the cam bearing to a full roller, and replaced the stator in the alternator. Otherwise just ride it. I just changed the cam brg. for peace of mind. Motor is all stock otherwise.

I have drag pipes with Kustom Krome baffles which gives me plenty of low end torque, and sounds great.

I am 77 years old and this is my last bike. When I get old I may convert it to a trike. But this bike is the greatest one I have had, and have no desire for any thing newer. This one fits me. I can not imagine riding any thing else. To much fun on this one.

Attached Thumbnails I love my Evo-romeo-ride-to-joe-snuffy-s.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Jim Kraft:
LockAndLoad (04-15-2018), Schex (04-15-2018), Tommy C (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:09 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jim kraft
i love my 99 softail custom. It only has 54,000 on it now, and is just getting broken in. Only done 2 things to it other than regular maintenance. I changed the cam bearing to a full roller, and replaced the stator in the alternator. Otherwise just ride it. I just changed the cam brg. For peace of mind. Motor is all stock otherwise.

I have drag pipes with kustom krome baffles which gives me plenty of low end torque, and sounds great.

I am 77 years old and this is my last bike. When i get old i may convert it to a trike. But this bike is the greatest one i have had, and have no desire for any thing newer. This one fits me. I can not imagine riding any thing else. To much fun on this one.
awesome!

Old 10-15-2018, 10:45 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,809 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Over the weekend I was riding my 20 yr old Evo Sportster on curvy and hilly mountain roads, and stopped to help out a guy with a 2017 Ultra. Apparently I was having a better day than he was, but I have confidence that Harley Davidson will eventually get whatever issue it was worked out just in time for their next generation engine (sarcasm)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...l#post17758828

Old 10-16-2018, 07:55 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
Over the weekend I was riding my 20 yr old Evo Sportster on curvy and hilly mountain roads, and stopped to help out a guy with a 2017 Ultra. Apparently I was having a better day than he was, but I have confidence that Harley Davidson will eventually get whatever issue it was worked out just in time for their next generation engine (sarcasm)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...l#post17758828
Not as long as they keep sourcing their parts from 3rd world country's they wont!!!!!

Old 10-16-2018, 05:02 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 901 Posts

I just read this thread all the way though. I am a first time EVO owner. 1995 Road King I picked up last week. If I may I would like to comment on some of the early post.
(1). Some complained about their Evo being "wound up" in 5th gear.
I admit I only rode my Road King about 10 miles on test run before I bought it. I got it up to 80 mph a few times. When I backed off throttle it was barely open. It might have something to do with it having Alan Johnson Performance heads. S&S carb. Thunder Header. I don't know but I would bet money it is not a stock cam.
(2). Bad brakes. Like I said being a first time Evo owner. I am not qualified to bad mouth the brakes. But. This Road King is updated with Performance Machine front brakes .Which will lock up the the front wheel with a slight pull of one finger.
Rear brakes? MEH. Probably needs new pads.
I have my 2007 Ultra,also. But.
Like the thread title says.
I Love My Evo.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Love mine too. Had a 2009 RKC before this one. A left turner murdered it so I took a chance on an Evo as a replacement bike. Good choice. The only thing I miss is the 6 speed transmission, I can get this thing pretty wound up

Old 10-17-2018, 01:41 PM
foundationapps
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

85 EVO FLTC. 33,000 miles with no major repairs. Good friend of mine sold this to me when I spun the connecting rod bearings on my 48 Panhead. This fine machine gets 50+ mpg at respectable speeds and is 100% reliable. No Leaks and bulletproof.

Right side bag lid detached while riding a month ago. Haven't been able to find it. Anyone know of a good source of these? New or Used.

Respectfully,
Trig

Old 10-18-2018, 03:05 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by foundationapps

85 EVO FLTC. 33,000 miles with no major repairs. Good friend of mine sold this to me when I spun the connecting rod bearings on my 48 Panhead. This fine machine gets 50+ mpg at respectable speeds and is 100% reliable. No Leaks and bulletproof.

Right side bag lid detached while riding a month ago. Haven't been able to find it. Anyone know of a good source of these? New or Used.

Respectfully,
Trig
Check the highway shoulders for those, might get lucky and find your color too!! Ha ha
Those are older lids and you can search Craigslist for shovels era parts as well. From the early eighties they all interchange.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I love my Evo