I love my Evo

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:22 AM
EVOLFXD
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I love my Evo

I know TCs are better.
I know they can be bored out to 5196 cubic inches.
I know the transmission is bolted to the engine to make it stronger.
I know they have better oil scavenging and more cooling fins.
I know with the latest EFI they are as responsive, efficient, and tunable as they have even been.
It is technically a better engine, I know.

But, I love my Evo.

I have owned a TC, and could have easily bought another one, but I chose an Evo.

I don't have crankshaft runout issues.
I don't have cam chain/tensioner issues.
I don't have heat issues.
I don't have TBW or CAN bus issues or any other computer gremlins.
I love how it runs as quietly and smoothly as a Singer.
I love how it has a nice choppy idle, even with a stock cam.
I love how if I have a lifter take a dump I just have to replace a lifter block and not a whole case half.
I love how every single Evo has a Timken left side bearing...before the MoCo got cheap.
I love how my motor was designed by engineers and not bean counters.
I love that raw chunk of metal between my legs that with 99.9% certainty will start every time and never leave me stranded.

Sure it's not the most powerful or the most sophisticated thing in the world but to me that's what a Harley is all about. It's about that raw unadulterated metal getting you down the road every time. If I wanted something super polished and sophisticated I'd go out and buy a Honda or BMW. I guess a HD Evo is just for me. Just sayin'

The following 2 users liked this post by EVOLFXD:
Frank Maleno (04-09-2018), Sam Childress (08-01-2019)
Old 04-07-2015, 01:50 AM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 300 Likes on 186 Posts

I have only ever owned one HD and that is my Evo. I have ridden newer HD's but some how, they just don't compare to the feel of mine.

The following 3 users liked this post by wombat457:
86glider (04-07-2018), Sam Childress (08-07-2020), Wimbo (07-18-2019)
Old 04-07-2015, 02:19 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It truly is a love affair.
The one and only reason I left for a while was to get better brakes and ABS!
Can't say I'll never have another later model, they were both fine motorcycles.
I love my Evo too and even loved my "first" true love, a new '89 Evo more! Rode her for about 50k mi w/out any major incident and never once thought about HP or carbs or mileage or anything.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:37 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me Too!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:24 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Very well put!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:19 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I planned to ride from coast to coast I might consider replacing my old EVO. Till that day comes I'll stay with it. If that day never comes I'll be EVO for life. If somehow my life ends up in some fashion that I can make the really long rides I'll get a Goldwing anyway. I have three buddies that ride together all the time. They recently made a trip to New Orleans and back, 1,604 miles round trip. Two have new-ish goldwings, one has a 2014 ultra. The goldwing guys have nothing but good things to say about their bikes. The guy with the ultra stays mad all the time about his bike and the moco. He got mad and stayed mad when the dealer told him after he has closed the deal on the bike that if he flew a big flag on it they would void his warranty (PGR). He has also had electrical gremlins that the dealer says they can't replicate so, it never gets fixed. He wanted to shed the ultra and get a goldwing but, when he discovered the financial hole that he was in he reconsidered. He says that he is done with HD for life when he can get rid of the bike he has now. He had a 07 model ultra before this one and was happy with it. This one he is not happy with. Anyway, we ride together a lot during the year. Everyone in our group has newer HD's or Honda goldwings. I have the only old bike, the EVO FLHTC. To be honest, my bike isn't much fun if were going from point A to point B out on the interstate when everyone wants to run 80MPH. The old EVO is breathing hard to keep up, RPMs are high. In the mountains and back roads I think I have the best bike. On the open interstate, not so much.

Last edited by falconbrother; 04-07-2015 at 07:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kayakeur (10-02-2023)
Old 04-07-2015, 07:51 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by falconbrother
If I planned to ride from coast to coast I might consider replacing my old EVO. Till that day comes I'll stay with it. If that day never comes I'll be EVO for life. If somehow my life ends up in some fashion that I can make the really long rides I'll get a Goldwing anyway. I have three buddies that ride together all the time. They recently made a trip to New Orleans and back, 1,604 miles round trip. Two have new-ish goldwings, one has a 2014 ultra. The goldwing guys have nothing but good things to say about their bikes. The guy with the ultra stays mad all the time about his bike and the moco. He got mad and stayed mad when the dealer told him after he has closed the deal on the bike that if he flew a big flag on it they would void his warranty (PGR). He has also had electrical gremlins that the dealer says they can't replicate so, it never gets fixed. He wanted to shed the ultra and get a goldwing but, when he discovered the financial hole that he was in he reconsidered. He says that he is done with HD for life when he can get rid of the bike he has now. He had a 07 model ultra before this one and was happy with it. This one he is not happy with. Anyway, we ride together a lot during the year. Everyone in our group has newer HD's or Honda goldwings. I have the only old bike, the EVO FLHTC. To be honest, my bike isn't much fun if were going from point A to point B out on the interstate when everyone wants to run 80MPH. The old EVO is breathing hard to keep up, RPMs are high. In the mountains and back roads I think I have the best bike. On the open interstate, not so much.
I think that is more you than your bike.
I just covered 300 miles coming home from the meet up and I had it nailed to 80 mph as much as I could (I didn't think the small town cops would like it if I did 80 through their town).
The bike was humming along at about 3k rpm and seemed happy enough.
I wouldn't hesitate to take mine cross country.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:27 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If memory serves, I'm running 2500 RPMs at 55MPH. 65 is getting up near 3500 RPMs. At 80 that old engine is screaming.. Neither it nor I like it..

86glider (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:18 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by falconbrother
If memory serves, I'm running 2500 RPMs at 55MPH. 65 is getting up near 3500 RPMs. At 80 that old engine is screaming.. Neither it nor I like it..
Those are 4th gear numbers for me.
I wonder what the difference is.
All my gearing is stock.

Hey Man (10-17-2018)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Those are 4th gear numbers for me.
I wonder what the difference is.
All my gearing is stock.
Mine too. At 75-80 mph my bike is purring like a kitten with plenty of oomph left.

Quick Reply: I love my Evo