EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Ipara
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Evo advice

I happen to have a brand new 99 Harley chrome and black evo crate motor with Harley's MSO, I've had the motor for 12 years. I just purchased a 91 FXRS Low Rider and want to install the new motor. Along with the motor I have a brand new S&S E carb along with Screaming Eagle heads. I would like some advice concerning a cam and pistons for the motor. I'm not interested in boring out the motor, besides I've heard it really doesn't do much for the motor anyway.

Any advice would be most welcomed...

Old 04-17-2015, 02:10 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Seems to me if you are going to open up a motor, you'd be better off rehabilitating the existing motor in the FXR than molesting a pristine crate motor.

That crate motor is probably worth serious money to the right builder.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:34 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Seems to me if you are going to open up a motor, you'd be better off rehabilitating the existing motor in the FXR than molesting a pristine crate motor.

That crate motor is probably worth serious money to the right builder.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:13 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Put an 89" stroker kit in the engine already in the FXR, along with an EV5 or similar, and be done with it. Get a good builder to do your heads for you.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:47 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah, I agree, don't ruin the crate motor.
More curious about how and why you have it...

Old 04-17-2015, 08:55 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Yeah, I agree, don't ruin the crate motor.
More curious about how and why you have it...
Oh Oh oh Good question
Beat me to it

WP

Old 04-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Harley made a lot of money for over ten years selling '99 EVO crate motors. I've got one that's been in service since '06, purchased from a dealer.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:11 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Harley made a lot of money for over ten years selling '99 EVO crate motors. I've got one that's been in service since '06, purchased from a dealer.
Yeah but his is still in the crate!!!!!!!!!!
At some point that motor is gonna be worth a **** load to the right buyer.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:08 PM
rhd47
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ipara
I happen to have a brand new 99 Harley chrome and black evo crate motor with Harley's MSO,

Any advice would be most welcomed...
I wanna see what a " brand new crate motor " looks like in the crate....!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:58 AM
Ipara
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do I start... Way back in 2002 I got the bug to build a Harley from the ground up, silly me! In order to build a bike you need a frame, so I started to look for ANY big twin Harley frame to start my project. Well I happened to find a guy selling a FXR frame. The frame was painted this god awful pinkish color, but I didn't care as I was going to re powder coat the frame anyway. Anyway I bought it and started collecting FXR stuff, including the 99 Evo. Well the project went by the way side as I bought a 03 FXDL. Fast forward to last August when I went into the garage to go for a bike ride, started up the bike, oil light won't go out, shut down the bike, I pull the oil dipstick. Instead of being at the bottom of the stick it's half way up the stick. I decide 4k for a new motor is not worth it, hence FXR project comes back into the light until I get a call from the powder coater who tells me I'd better come over. Well under that wonderful paint job was a bondo job around the neck. Well the frame was raked, highway peg mounts removed, etc. I sold the frame on Ebay and made good money on it. After that sold I went looking for a WHOLE bike... LOL

I will make an effort to post pictures of the motor. It's just a motor bolted into a wooden crate used for transport. I'm not even sure the crate it's in is a Harley crate or something built for this engine...

The 91 has 55K on it, but the engine was part of a Harley recall back in the day due to cracks in the engine cases. So the motor was rebuilt when the bike had 24K on it which means the motor on the bike only has 31k on it.

The one thing I have is a set of Screamin Eagle heads for the Evo.

I'm going to use the new heads no matter what, so I need to know about the rest of the stuff like pistons, cams, etc. I also need to know around what I should pay for someone to take the engine apart and put it back together and what I should expect out of the finished motor.

Sorry for the long response...

Last edited by Ipara; 04-19-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo advice