EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Looking at FXSTS Springer, what should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:53 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Looking at FXSTS Springer, what should I know?

A friend is making an offer on my 1999 FXSTC that I can't refuse, so I'm in the market for another evo softail. I found a 1992 Springer for around $6500 that looks pretty good (in the pictures). But I know Harley fixed a few things between 92 and 99, and I've read that older springer front ends can have wear issues as well.

This bike has about 25000 miles. What would you look for in determining if this is a good bike.

Any guidience is appreciated.

Beary

Old 07-08-2015, 02:11 PM
KevinMT
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

93 and later have the floating front fender that rides closer to the tire.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:20 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
A friend is making an offer on my 1999 FXSTC that I can't refuse, so I'm in the market for another evo softail. I found a 1992 Springer for around $6500 that looks pretty good (in the pictures). But I know Harley fixed a few things between 92 and 99, and I've read that older springer front ends can have wear issues as well.

This bike has about 25000 miles. What would you look for in determining if this is a good bike.

Any guidience is appreciated.

Beary
Those things are awesome. Hope this works out for you.

Had the chance to ride one many, many years ago. Honestly, for riding, not my cup of tea. But I'd still love to have one someday. That front end is just so awesome.

Edit: Just saw this one on CL. Little newer, slightly lower miles, little more money. http://lincoln.craigslist.org/mcy/5007318711.html

Last edited by 0maha; 07-08-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:48 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Yes, I'm not too worried about the ride of a Springer because I bought my Custom just for around town bar hopping, even though I don't drink and ride. I have a RK for my long rides.

I had planned to keep the Custom for a long time but everything has a price and my friend found it. I need another evo bar hopper and have always liked the old-school Springer style. I thought this might be an opportunity, depending on what I learn here.

That 94 looks nice, price seems a little high.

Beary

Old 07-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Springers are bringing a premium. Heritage Springers are bringing absolutely stupid money.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
Springers are bringing a premium. Heritage Springers are bringing absolutely stupid money.
Not really...people are asking stupid money...but if you look at "sold" listings on ebay...most went for sightly above to well below NADA. Only springers getting big bucks are low mileage CVOs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Softail-/499...inger&_vxp=mtr

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 07-08-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Not really...people are asking stupid money...but if you look at "sold" listings on ebay...most went for sightly above to well below NADA. Only springers getting big bucks are low mileage CVOs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Softail-/499...inger&_vxp=mtr
I look at wholesale auction prices. I don't base values on Ebay transactions.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:09 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
I look at wholesale auction prices. I don't base values on Ebay transactions.
OK post up the prices...so people are paying more at wholesale auctions than they can get them on ebay for? Wholesale auction are generally not open to the public...and only have 3 types of bikes...repossessions, salvage, and low quality "trade ins" that dealers unload because they won't put them on their floor. Many auction places have started selling overseas, because they can recover more money than trying to sell them in the US. Ebay is closer to real life selling prices than wholesale auctions IMO.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:10 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

OK post up the prices...so people are paying more at wholesale auctions than they can get them on ebay for?
Not exactly what I said. Most of the sales started on Ebay don't get finished on Ebay, in my experience. Dealers, and some individual sellers I assume, use Ebay as a way to generate leads. One auction can net you 2 or 3 parties interested in your bike, or car, or whatever. You then work it like a regular long distance car deal. Successful sales don't show in completed listings very often.

I set off looking for a transaction for a 92 Springer, and as close as I could get was a 94 with mileage between 25 and 40k (they list these in a range) and a conditon score of 72 (nice, but far from pristine). Sold within the last year for 5300. By contrast, a Standard Softail of the same year we'd expect to see trade between 2500 and 3500 wholesale. Maybe 4 if it's really special. I call that extra bringing a premium.

Wholesale auction are generally not open to the public...and only have 3 types of bikes...repossessions, salvage, and low quality "trade ins" that dealers unload because they won't put them on their floor.
You are correct that they are open to dealers only, but not all of the inventory is undesirable. Plenty of 2015 HDs with sub 10k miles at auction this week. I picked up a 2013 R1 with all of 1300 miles on it at an auto auction Wednesday. Sometimes inventory doesn't fit your program, it's been around too long, you have too many of a certain model. All kinds of reasons to wholesale a piece. Of course, all of our Evos are undesirable to most dealers....

Many auction places have started selling overseas, because they can recover more money than trying to sell them in the US.
I haven't seen that happening. I've heard Copart has a good number of overseas buyers, but they're largely salvage and non-runners (cars and trucks). I believe they do some heavy equipment too, but that's not my thing so I don't know for sure. An auction house isn't worried about "recovering money" anyway because they don't own any of the inventory. It's nearly all consigned with a reserve price. They make their fee when they successfully put a buyer and seller together. No sale, no fee. Unless you're Barret-Jackson or Mecum or one of those. You pay to play there whether you sell or not.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:17 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

I just looked at the completed listings link you posted...... I know.. I should have looked before. Anyway, those prices seemed pretty high to me. When an Evo Heritage Springer sells north of 13k, that's crazy.

Quick Reply: Looking at FXSTS Springer, what should I know?