EVO All Evo Model Discussion

how much horsepower do you really need ?

Old 07-20-2015, 09:44 PM
buckweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much horsepower do you really need ?

In another thread...
Got me thinking about harleys evo's .. and their horsepower.
I have never really understood the need for anything over 80 cubic inches..
Stock horsepower is fine with me.
I don't run fast anymore. And if I'm on a big hill or need to pass.
I just shifts down to 4th...
Maybe I'm just getting older and slower.?

I'm definitely getting a evo again..
I miss my old evo badly.

Last edited by buckweet; 07-20-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:45 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts
Default how much horsepower do you really need ?

100/100 is a good number

Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 PM
buckweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heck ???
I wouldn't mind a 74 cubic inch EVO ....

Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
100/100 is a good number
100+/100+!!!!
Fixed it for you Jason.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,107 Likes on 6,201 Posts

It's not just the horsepower and torque but how it is delivered and at what rpm's. Most people put a cam in their bike to make the absolute biggest numbers only to find it is a poor match for their real world day to day riding.

I have never ridden a twin cam, so I can't be too critical, but I've ridden enough Evo's to know that a carbureted Evo is my favorite engine in a bike. Maybe one day I will try a twin cam or a water head out, or maybe even a Revolution Brody engine out, but with my current experiences, Evo's are my favorite, with a Sportster Evo being a close second, for many of the same reasons.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:25 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Just a little more.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:21 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,802 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Enough to cruise a fully loaded two up bagger in sixth at 80mph and just roll on it to easily accelerate to 100 if one so desires, works for me.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:47 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 429 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
It's not just the horsepower and torque but how it is delivered and at what rpm's. Most people put a cam in their bike to make the absolute biggest numbers only to find it is a poor match for their real world day to day riding.

I have never ridden a twin cam, so I can't be too critical, but I've ridden enough Evo's to know that a carbureted Evo is my favorite engine in a bike. Maybe one day I will try a twin cam or a water head out, or maybe even a Revolution Brody engine out, but with my current experiences, Evo's are my favorite, with a Sportster Evo being a close second, for many of the same reasons.

I've ridden most Harleys and a carby TC and a carby Evo are both great bikes to ride, stock the TC is way quicker than the Evo but both respond well to mild tuning.

I run TW26A's with an adjustable module a hi-flow K&N and a tweaked carby (dyno jet kit) on my TC and Kees runs a VThunder 3000 cam, Mikuni 42 carby and decent airfilter in his Evo,we both have loud pipes and both bikes are pretty evenly matched as regards power.

You don't need to be much over 75HP on an Evo to have a good time and still retain that gorgeous mid-range stomp for overtaking.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,107 Likes on 6,201 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
I've ridden most Harleys and a carby TC and a carby Evo are both great bikes to ride, stock the TC is way quicker than the Evo but both respond well to mild tuning. I run TW26A's with an adjustable module a hi-flow K&N and a tweaked carby (dyno jet kit) on my TC and Kees runs a VThunder 3000 cam, Mikuni 42 carby and decent airfilter in his Evo,we both have loud pipes and both bikes are pretty evenly matched as regards power. You don't need to be much over 75HP on an Evo to have a good time and still retain that gorgeous mid-range stomp for overtaking.
Exactly. My mild build suits me fine, with the EV13 cam, slightly milled heads, etc. It's never been on the dyno, but it just feels right and pulls hard in the entire rpm range I ride, especially down low.

I was at the dealer yesterday and they started up what was probably a stock new street glide. I was like, is the choke stuck on that thing or what? The individual pulses were not that distinguishable because it idled so fast. The stock exhaust with catalytic converters probably didn't help matters either. I was there just looking around, since I am still too weak to ride my own bike. The prospect of riding again someday and staying interested in bikes is what helps keep me motivated to get better instead of wallowing in depression all this time. (Since June 7). I wear a Harley t-shirt to every doctor visit and hospital stay and procedure to remind the doctors why I need to get better.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
100+/100+!!!!
Fixed it for you Jason.
Been there and done that - actually around 102HP/107TQ - it's fine!

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Just a little more.
A little? No, quite a bit more.

I owned a TC88 Dyna for several years, on which I shortened gearing from 25T compensator to 21T. Only ever rode it solo, but it was great! Close to stock, but with 19% increased torque, thanks to the gearing change. I now own a Buell XB12R, which is even better performing. Now similar torque and performance from a fully loaded dresser, like either of those bikes, would just about fit the bill.

So I did some sums a while back and decided that something like an R&R 131" engine would just about deliver the goods. I love S&S engines and one of their low CR 124" engines, with the same 585 cam I currently have, might do as a compromise.

Can you have too much? Probably - one of our members has an R&R 155" engine which sounds scary. I have even read of a 175", for those for whom nothing less than the most will do........

Certainly I can see a darned good reason to go a lot bigger than 80", so if any of you are thinking of changing, don't hold back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how much horsepower do you really need ?