EVO All Evo Model Discussion

91 Ultra. Turn Signals question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 03:13 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 91 Ultra. Turn Signals question

Does the bike have to be moving for the turn signals to operate?
My Turn Signal "module" on the top of the R/H fork tube has been tested and input & output appear to be good however nothing happens when right or left button/switch is pressed. Is it a good idea to replace existing unit with the Badlands "module" anyway as I have had probs in the past with turn signals operating intermittently.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Bill Groom
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally, something I can answer. I have an 87, and on these years the turn signal switch has to be held in to blink. I have the Badlands module, and it is worth every penny. It blinks for 8 seconds and auto cancels.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,481 Likes on 4,604 Posts

The `91 model year has the turn signal canceller module, the button does not need to be held in to operate, push on, push off.

The bike does not need to be moving for the signals to operate.

You really should make sure you don`t have a switch or wiring problem before assuming an aftermarket module will cure the problem.

You say the output of the module appears to be good, what does that mean?

Do you have a service manual or an accurate wiring diagram?

Old 08-08-2015, 11:29 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Dan89FLSTC;14280013]The `91 model year has the turn signal canceller module, the button does not need to be held in to operate, push on, push off.

The bike does not need to be moving for the signals to operate.

You really should make sure you don`t have a switch or wiring problem before assuming an aftermarket module will cure the problem.

You say the output of the module appears to be good, what does that mean?Do you have a service manual or an accurate wiring diagram?[/QUOTE
Hi Dan, Havent examined the turn signal switches but the Input (not output as I stated is good. Nothing happening on the Out side of module.
Have had the auto electrician rewire new grounds to all 4 bulbholders.
Still no luck! Good point on the Badlands module. How often over the years have we rushed out to buy a new item thinking that the problem will be solved only to find out that it has been an expensive and useless exercise.
Badlands module costs app. 150 bucks over here in the UK so its not cheap.
Might be time to examine the switches although with none of them working it makes wonder. I have the Factory manual and the electrician,who is an excellent tradesman can read it well. Meant to say.... the module I have is a replacement (Harley part) which is only about 3 years old and bearing in mind my Ultra has been off the road for 2 years,in dry conditions, it hasnt had much use.

Last edited by BungoBill; 08-08-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:16 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Bungo, I second Dan, that your indicators should work with the bike static. The only feature that won't work is the automatic cancelling, which IIRC has a distance limit, with a link from the speedo. (I deactivated that by disconnecting the white/green wire on the back of the speedo.) It should be possible to bypass the switches, to see if the module responds. They will also function as hazards, by pressing both switches together. I replaced mine several years ago, with a stock one, so while they don't last forever my 'new' one has given several years service.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:07 AM
Rusty E Good
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any of you folks got wire diagram for these older badlands module? Would be nice to know which wire is for what