EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Bought new (16-yr-old) EVO 1999 Heritage FLSTC !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Bought new (16-yr-old) EVO 1999 Heritage FLSTC !!

I just bought a 1999 Softail Heritage Classic FLSTC, rode it home today !! (August, 2015)
Blue and Pearl White, 40,000 miles, from original owner. It seems in good condition with exceptions below.
Yippee!
Compared to my 05 Sportster, the Heritage felt (I felt) like the bike was more of a 'presence' on the road.
I am taking it on a 3,000 mile ride starting in 1 month.

BUT I am reluctant to ride it at all until I know the cam bearings are ok (see #2 below)

I am going to to go over it thoroughly change all fluids, adjust stuff.
I have the factory manual.

Comments and advice from any of you would be welcome (!).

Here's what I already plan:
Number One: Get rid of the LOUD pipes. Good grief. Long Shots with baffles removed. Owner gave me the baffles and the original OEM pipes. Carb was adjusted for the Long Shots and breather kit and Dyna jet kit when installed 16 years ago, then re-adjusted when baffles removed 15 years ago. Carb never adjusted after that.
At the least I will put the baffles in. If that's too loud I'll put original OEM mufflers back on - I prefer the original pipes look anyway.
If I install original factory pipes will I need to change the existing breather and jet kit?

#2. What about the cam bearings / (tensioners?)? Two reasons I ask:
A. Engine sounds like it is 'beating itself to death'. 'Sounds' like gunshots out of exhaust accelerating and cruising at 40, 50, 60, any gear. The only Heritage sound I've heard to compare is recent 2013 dealer demo ride.
B. Cam bearings (tensioners?): lots of discussion in other threads, like replace at 50,000 miles.
How do I know if they need replacing? Some symptoms I would see or feel?
What happens if they need replacing and I don't?

#3.Vibration. Lots. Ok, I know an Evolution engine vibrates but comments on hdforum some EVO's have much more vibration than others.
Why, or what to do? Will changing pipes back to stock affect vibration?

#4. Comlete fluid changes including fork oil, brake fluid, engine, primary, transmission. Are there other places to lube? Steering head? Rear wheel?

5. Adjust everything, like clutch, brake cable.

6. New plugs. What about wires for plugs?

Sheesh, the list is getting long! Am I obsessive? Or prudent?
7. Sh** y'all recommend.

BUT I am reluctant to ride it at all until I know the cam bearings are ok.

A Heritage is the bike I have lusted after for seven years. I believe I got a very good price on it: $4,700, from original owner, a woman who put most of its miles on it on thousand-mile trips.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Just ride it.
Many bikes have gone over 100k miles on the stock cam bearing.
As long as you are running a stock cam it isn't a problem.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:42 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You Have an EVO engine, there are no tensioners. Change the cam bearings when you're ready unless it's them making the noise!

Old 08-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

Think you basically have a non b (balance cams) motor solided mounted in a Softail Tail frame. She be vibbbb....as normal.. That was why the birth of a TCb motor. Too many drivers could not keep their fillings in their teeth and lost their wedding bands.

Put the stock pipes back on. They will produce more power. They pipes share both pipes on each cylinder and have dual baffle system. Putting quite baffles in silly aftermarket noise makers is junk. What I did but be forewarned, it will be you and me against the tide. (I lost interest in playing card on the spokes 50+ years ago. Probably mixture will be OK. If it runs good and plugs look clean on a 100 mile run at 55 forget carb adjust.

You have gear drive with outboard bearing in cover. Little whine but A OK.

Go thru it all if you go far. No big deal.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-17-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,492 Likes on 4,610 Posts

Change the fluids, put the stock pipes back on and ride it the rest of the summer ( I`ve still got the stock pipes and mufflers on my Softail after almost 27 years).

When riding season is over, replace the inner cam bearing and the lifters.

Cam bearing to use is either Torrington B-138 or a Koyo B-138.

Take a look at the shift lever at the transmission, make sure it is tight on the shaft, check it every oil change or thereabouts.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-17-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Post up a video of the engine running...there are experts here who will let you know if it sounds "normal" for an Evo.

Check the dates and condition of your tires. You don't want to have a blowout, I wouldn't run on old or cracked tires.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:07 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just put the baffles back in and enjoy it. As for cam bearing is there noise coming from the cam area? Enjoy the Heritage. btw softail evo's vibrate!! As a side note I would pull the carb apart and see what is in it. Then return all factory parts. Dynojet kits are known to kill about 10mpg. I get 45mpg all day long.

Last edited by 92Fatty; 08-18-2015 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Welcome to EVOLand!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:13 AM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Great, thanks, all. As I ride it I'm loving it more. Vibration doesnt seem as severe as Day One.
Thanks, TexasHillCountry. They are stock cams, everything inside stock as per the lady who put all 41,000 of her miles, and the V2 cover is still riveted,
so thanks, that concern is gone
Ripsaw, glad to hear the OEM pipes will produce more power than the Samson Long Shots. When I get the original pipes - they are 70 miles away still with the original owner and baffles and bunch of bike goodies she had -and dolly bike jack!- and my Sportster in her garage and I couldnt carry it in my Heritage saddlebags.
I'll try your hundred mile run ending with clean plugs I hope, keep carb settings.

btw: per HD dealer work order in 1999, installed
29008-90A Evo 1340 High Flow Air Cleaner Kit
58-896 Dyna Jet Kit
DS-200265 Pipes [Samson Long Shots]
29310-93 Evo 1340 Breather Kit (surdyke.com says "includes chrome breather manifold, brackets, gaskets. For race application only. 29310-93 Fits ’93-’99 Evo 1340's with air cleaner kit P/N 29008-90A"

Ummmm, dang!, remove the Dyna Jet Kit?
Kayakeur Bud

Old 08-20-2015, 06:32 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

My buddy has a heritage classic with long shots w/baffles, I think it sounds awesome and it gets consistent 45 mpg with me riding it. It also has a carb and a "stage 1" kit from the dealer like you have.

I'd put the baffles back in if I was you and see what you think. I think you will like the burble. Power difference with stock pipes vs baffled will be minimal.

Easy to try and nothing to lose. Check your mileage for a few tanks - if it's 40 or so, I'd leave well enough alone with the carb and just enjoy the bike.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:39 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a 1991 FLSTC. Yea, it vibrated like a banshee.. I literally held parts on more than once. Blue locktite is your friend. I loved that bike.

Don't overthink an EVO. You can create more problems than you started with. Ask me how I know..

The stock cams will last an incredibly long. The cam bearings will eventually quit, from what I have observed. If there's no issue now I'd just ride it and not even think about those bearings yet. On my evo bikes, including sportsters, the one universal experience has been corrosion on connectors causing electrical bugs, and my bikes all live indoors. That, fluids and tires is all I would do in the short run.

I had the V&H fat pipes on my Heritage and it was bloody loud. But, everyone agreed that it sounded awesome with the cam, etc..

Quick Reply: Bought new (16-yr-old) EVO 1999 Heritage FLSTC !!