EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Why Is There No Evo's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:00 AM
Harley-Davidson
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why Is There No Evo's?

My wife and I were at the Harley dealer today looking at bikes and talking to bikers coming in, and just sort of sluffing off on a hot day. Salesman comes walking over and says, "If you want to take anything for a spin, just let me know."

So I told him actually what I noticed was that they never have a single Evo model there in the used bikes, and they got over 100 pre-owned bikes there.

The salesman laughed and said he's got a waiting list of people that want 'em and he's got 'em sold before it hits the showroom floor if there's even a hint that one might be traded in. Then he says, "I seen what you rode in on. If you decide to sell it or trade we need to talk."

For pete's sake, I don't know if the salesman was giving me a line or if our 30 year old Evo is really that desirable. But I have not seen one at that dealership for sale for a very, very long time.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:24 AM
boogieman97
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No line from the salesman. My dealer has tried 3 times to by my '97 Dyna for more than I paid for it because they are so good and new bikes are so expensive. I'm not selling either.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:56 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Received a call from my dealer recently stating they need older bikes, preferably carbureted Evo's and was willing to buy mine outright even if I was not interested in buying a bike from them at this time.

Needless to say I am not interested in selling it or trading it in because I don't see anything that I like for a suitable replacement.

I am curious about the next generation of engines they will use, since the twin cam is getting long in the tooth and if the past is any indication of how long a basic design will be in production, the replacement should be just about due.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:09 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

about 20 years ago the former HD dealer here would buy used shovel heads, crate them up, put them on a container and ship them to europe. i'm sure there's plenty of evo's being shipped out of the country now as well.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:11 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

chris, so, what bike is your preferred ride these days?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:16 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Most EVO's are sold on the private market. There time has come and gone for dealer sales. Also many that still own EVO's have kept them.
I still have my 1996 FB and it will only leave when I die, the second son gets it.
I have had many people try to buy my Fatboy. When I had it at the dealer a while back to have the side car mounted there were two offers made.
Wife and I had to much fun on the bike to ever sell it Remember during the EVO years HD was hot and in short supply. There was as much as a 12-14 month wait for a new one and many bought one and sold it before taking delivery. There was a 14 month wait for my 1996 FB.
The bike is still pretty much stock, no engine work at all. While the 1340 is no power house it is a good horse. truth is my 2016 is a better bike in many ways but you can never really compare the two.
That 1996 Fb is the lowest cost to own no madder how you figure it than any ride I have ever owned.

Last edited by smitty901; 09-06-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:31 AM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They can't be offering squat for them, the prices are so low already and they want to double or triple their money.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:32 AM
wild_one
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only was there a 12 to 14 month waiting period. I can remember a few guys who bought bikes and when they arrived had to leave them on the showroom floor till another bike of the same model arrived to take its place. My father for one had to do this in Alaska.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by bagga
about 20 years ago the former HD dealer here would buy used shovel heads, crate them up, put them on a container and ship them to europe. i'm sure there's plenty of evo's being shipped out of the country now as well.
There has certainly been a steady market here in the UK for secondhand Harleys since the late '70s, when new ones first became popular here. Prior to that UK Harley enthusiasts fed fat on the truck-loads of Wartime sidevalve bikes you chaps left behind!

Those of who have owned Harleys for a long time have a bit of a challenge pointing out why a s/h US spec model can be quite different from a 'proper' UK model! Germany in particular was a strong market for several years, with favourable exchange rates fuelling the flow of Harleys, not only across the Atlantic, but even from the UK.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,341 Posts

My 1979 FLH POS went to The Netherlands about 1989 or so. Bunch of Dutch guys were traveling around the country buying up bikes, filling a container and shipping them home. Negotiating the price with them was a very unique experience. It was like I could read their minds. Once they found out I was Dutch also, they immediately stopped trying to work me down and the deal was done.

Quick Reply: Why Is There No Evo's?