EVO All Evo Model Discussion

91 ultra. Intermittent fault.!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:15 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 91 ultra. Intermittent fault.!

The Ultra has been running well except for "cutting out" ie. Ignition system shuts down completely whilst riding. Not very pleasant when I was overtaking on outside (uk) lane at 65.mph. Ignition (inc neutral light) wouldnt go on aain therefore I had to be taken home,inc bike, by a breakdown truck.
This "cutting out" had already happened whilst I was static at my home.
I have stripped Fairing down to gain access to Ignition Switch wiring/barrel
What a frigging wrench that was. !! Not checked wiring at Ignition Switch yet
but 30 amp relay inside Fairing seems to be functioning ok.
Any suggestions/ideas welcomed.

Last edited by BungoBill; 09-07-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:46 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The times mine has acted like that it was either a loose cable on the battery or a broken wire on the ignition switch.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:46 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

My buddies behaved like that and they replaced the ignition system. It did have over 120K on the clock

Old 09-08-2015, 10:06 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Wire loom at neck.
Turn forks left and right.
After many years the wires get weak at that bend point.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:16 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The relay "appears" to be functioning? When mine was dying like that, it was that relay. They're cheap, replace it and see if it still does it. Mine would run fine, but now and then, everything electric was gone. I've replaced my relay twice in the 10 years I've had my bike and it solved the problem both times.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:35 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Bungo, I've been musing over this for a few days and have another suggestion. Is your bike a UK spec (International model), or a US import? A simple clue is whether yours has amber (UK) or red (USA) rear side reflectors on the saddlebags.

If it is UK, there is an odd electrical feature, which I will describe if relevant. I had a similar problem while in Germany a few years ago and now have a solution to it.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:03 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
Bungo, I've been musing over this for a few days and have another suggestion. Is your bike a UK spec (International model), or a US import? A simple clue is whether yours has amber (UK) or red (USA) rear side reflectors on the saddlebags.

If it is UK, there is an odd electrical feature, which I will describe if relevant. I had a similar problem while in Germany a few years ago and now have a solution to it.
Hi Graham,My Ultra is UK spec. The old Ultra was running fine a couple of days ago. I parked at 45degrees to the sidewalk with the front wheel up against sidewalk edge. When I returned about 30 mins later
I sat on the bike,backed away (using my legs) a foot or so from the sidewalk edge. Turned ignition ON....Nothing,no lights on panel or gauges working.
Phoned a buddy who came round to have a look. He bent down and pressed the "button" down on the end of the Starter Motor. The Ultra surged forward a bit as it was still in gear! We both grabbed bike to steady it.
Turned Ignition Switch to ON and,low and behold, the Ignition lights and gauges all functioned. Strange.
Ultra ran well for next 30 mins until I parked up in my garage. Havent touched it since. Very frustrating after ld.
Apart from this problem, the Motor,now with the Andrews 27 cam and the Tourpak topbox and panniers removed is a lot more responsive overall.
Great stuff. !!

Old 09-11-2015, 05:06 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bluharley
The relay "appears" to be functioning? When mine was dying like that, it was that relay. They're cheap, replace it and see if it still does it. Mine would run fine, but now and then, everything electric was gone. I've replaced my relay twice in the 10 years I've had my bike and it solved the problem both times.
Hi,are you talking about the 30 amp relay under the r/h side cover?

Old 09-11-2015, 05:13 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by im
Wire loom at neck.
Turn forks left and right.
After many years the wires get weak at that bend point.
Hi,Did think about that but as the Ultra was running on a freeway/motorway and was heading in a straight line I discounted that theory. I will get my auto electrician buddy to go over all the suggestions you guys have been kind enough to send. I wondered about a "bad" ground somewhere on frame.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:20 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BungoBill
Hi,are you talking about the 30 amp relay under the r/h side cover?
Yes, that one. Mine would just quit. I just had to let it sit for a few minutes and it would start up and go. Be good for days, weeks, months, then quit. Very unpredictable.

Quick Reply: 91 ultra. Intermittent fault.!