EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Why do I need a battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,147 Likes on 6,211 Posts

I called GNH Cycles about it a couple of days ago. The delay was caused by the requirement of the positive post being on the right side. Still, it is hard to excuse unanswered emails etc.

That being said, I spent the day at my parents house today and when I got home I found a package with the battery in it.

I will make a new thread with the details of the battery install, cable upgrade installation, etc.

I am excited to finally be able to ride my bike after I get everything done tomorrow.

It's a 24 cell lithium ion battery with 720 cranking amps. Between that and the 2 gauge cables, the old Heritage should fire right up.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Lucky Luke
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson
The charging system used in motorcycles is pretty much the same ...
Great answer. Really appreciated.

Simple answer is still, "because you cannot run an Evo without (a charging) one" as I found trying to bump start a Road King on my own.

Do they still make kicker/magneto set ups for Evos? I could see myself wanting to make a super lightweight, stripped to the bone Evo one day.

I remember seeing 4 speed kick or kickstart conversions a while back ...

Old 11-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky Luke
Great answer. Really appreciated.

Simple answer is still, "because you cannot run an Evo without (a charging) one" as I found trying to bump start a Road King on my own.

Do they still make kicker/magneto set ups for Evos? I could see myself wanting to make a super lightweight, stripped to the bone Evo one day.

I remember seeing 4 speed kick or kickstart conversions a while back ...
There are several kits available. By the Baker w/ polished kicker six-speed. It is about $3300. Haha !!! You also need an aftermarket iggy set to its lowest rpm spark setting. The factory ei is set too high for the average man's leg.

My question is to the initiated, when does a kicker stop being the only way to start a bike? I mean this, at what size in ci, compression, etc does this start becoming way too difficult?

I saw the Billy Lane bbo and it never showed him successfully kicking the bike to life.they started it on a dyno. The bike was a s&s 124 with a Baker 6 + kicker. I guess if you had a Morris Magneto that produces a hot spark on just about any movement then maybe. Maybe!
Tom

Old 11-15-2015, 11:11 PM
Harley-Davidson
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee⋁14578514
My question is to the initiated, when does a kicker stop being the only way to start a bike? I mean this, at what size in ci, compression, etc does this start becoming way too difficult?
Used to have a '79 XLCH with a S&S 12:1 motor with big cams and a mag. My 135 lb wife used to kick start it but when it was hot it was a real bugger and sometimes took 10-15 minutes to get it fired. The mag had a impulse coupling on it so if it went thru a compression stroke it fired the plugs. You'd hear the impulse coupling snap even kicking it over slow.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson
Used to have a '79 XLCH with a S&S 12:1 motor with big cams and a mag. My 135 lb wife used to kick start it but when it was hot it was a real bugger and sometimes took 10-15 minutes to get it fired. The mag had a impulse coupling on it so if it went thru a compression stroke it fired the plugs. You'd hear the impulse coupling snap even kicking it over slow.
Right! That is what I'm saying, a mag with a properly tuned motor would kick fairly easily. That Morris M5 or G5 is a marvelous device for 90 year old design. Lol

HD, thanks for the battery explaining too. I printed it out.
Tom