EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rookie move now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:48 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Rookie move now what?

Well I got the top end back together and with the top end gasket kit (cometic) there was two gaskets for the cam cover. I have an S&S bottom end btw and my bike is a bottom breather but I installed new rocker boxes and im gonna set it up for top and bottom breather. Anyways I had already bought a gasket and put the cam cover back on not aware there are two different gaskets, one that just goes around the outside of the cover and one that has a "window" in the bottom left corner. Well of course I put the wrong one on and need to pull the nose cone to replace it. Can I do this with the top end assembled? Or do I need to cut the pushrods out to get it off?

Old 12-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I have never tried it, but there is said to be a magic position where there's no load on any of the valves and you can pull the cone. It's come up here recently. One of the big wrenches mentioned it, SORRY, I FORGOT WHO, John or Spanners, I think.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

You can do it with the top end on, you need to set the notch for the ignition cup in the end of the cam to the 5 o'clock position and make sure you push on the cam as you pull the cover off.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:17 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Never mind Spanners got in before I finished typing!!

Old 12-09-2015, 04:30 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

who told you you can convert a bottom breather to a top breather by just changing the gaskets -- or did i miss something

Old 12-09-2015, 05:34 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Spanners39
You can do it with the top end on, you need to set the notch for the ignition cup in the end of the cam to the 5 o'clock position and make sure you push on the cam as you pull the cover off.
Boy am I glad to hear that, thanks Spanner!

Old 12-09-2015, 05:38 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
who told you you can convert a bottom breather to a top breather by just changing the gaskets -- or did i miss something
Not converting it John just going to use both. I changed the rocker boxes to ones with umbrella valves and removed inserts from the heads. Now just need to figure out what backing plate I need for my S&S carb or maybe switch to a different A/C setup.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:13 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

question Y -- the bottom breather was on every motorcycle made in the USA from the 1900s to emissions was mandatory

plus think about it this way - the pistons are like 2 upside down water glasses moving downward at a hi rate of speed into a small pocket so the oil and air is blended together - then when the rotating breather valves opening come into the engine blocks window - a rush of air and oil < what does it do ??? lubes all in the cam chest and neturals the air in the oil tank so as not to loose the oil feeds prime ( oil tank to oil pump intake )
the remaining air that is trapped in the lower unit is again sent back in to the heads and it also aids in lubing the top end of the motor / then the cycle starts all over again

if i am incorrect about this i am sure someone will have a better description of how this all works

when you open a second air escape that did not come on a bottom breather or on a top breather, you create a void ( dead spot ) in the vacuum as i see it that is needed to help purg the lower units exit into the cam cover - to me this will cause the lower breather hose to spit out oil while your driving

someone else have a say in this i would like to hear it /

Old 12-09-2015, 07:22 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
question Y -- the bottom breather was on every motorcycle made in the USA from the 1900s to emissions was mandatory

plus think about it this way - the pistons are like 2 upside down water glasses moving downward at a hi rate of speed into a small pocket so the oil and air is blended together - then when the rotating breather valves opening come into the engine blocks window - a rush of air and oil < what does it do ??? lubes all in the cam chest and neturals the air in the oil tank so as not to loose the oil feeds prime ( oil tank to oil pump intake )
the remaining air that is trapped in the lower unit is again sent back in to the heads and it also aids in lubing the top end of the motor / then the cycle starts all over again

if i am incorrect about this i am sure someone will have a better description of how this all works

when you open a second air escape that did not come on a bottom breather or on a top breather, you create a void ( dead spot ) in the vacuum as i see it that is needed to help purg the lower units exit into the cam cover - to me this will cause the lower breather hose to spit out oil while your driving

someone else have a say in this i would like to hear it /
FWIW a friend of mine has both on his but either I came that way or PO modded it.
Its a thunder mountain with a 113 S&S motor.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:28 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

being an S&S motor it might have a reed breather - that changes things

Quick Reply: Rookie move now what?