EVO All Evo Model Discussion

a couple of small questions about servicing

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Rob Hawkins
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a couple of small questions about servicing

Hi, I had a couple of questions that many here I feel will know the answer to.I have a 1998 FXDL low rider that Im doing the servicing on, and ran into a problem,as always I have the shop maunal with me,but my problem is with the oil filter.Now I know many of you will be yelling at the top of your lungs on my choice of filters,but after being a mechanic for 40 plus years I find I cant top a FRAM.Ive tried them all, and Im sure if I bought a harley it would be made by someone else.
Any way first time with this girl and the oil filter I have is about 1.5 to 2 inches longer than the one Im replacing,I find no problem there more oil to me means more volume and thats a good thing,the problem is the filter is so long it makes it impossible to put a filter wrench on the end to snung it up.and it sits very close to a set of wires in the front of the primary.
Question has any of you ran into this before???I double checked the number and it is correct?
Second thing is the oil drain plug,it "LOOKS" like somebody has replaced the oil drain plug with an oversized thread cutter oil plug,we used to use these when a hamfist overtightened a oil drain plug and stripped out the threads,it was pretty loose and was not leaking when I removed it,question (if this was automotive I know the answer)is it ok to use blue locktite on the drain plug and be very careful tighting?? TIA

Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

Ifthefilter ifs hitting your stator wires, then it's not the right one. The correct fram is a PH6022 and its black. As for the drain plug i would look at running a tap through it to clean it and get the right plug.........

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 01-05-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:27 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 791 Likes on 602 Posts

#1 Harley filter, get the correct filter from the dealer and make sure it is an EVO filter and not a twin cam filter. The EVO motor has very low oil pressure and the incorrect filter could present a problem...your FRAM might be fine but i would prefer the harley filter for the $5 cost difference.
#2 The wires you speak about is probably the CRANK position sensor.
Two wires exiting an oval-ish metal piece with two phillips screws.
You can remove the two screws and softly pull sensor out to complete the job (remove old filter) and install new by hand.
Unless somehow you mean the stator wires but that would mean it was a huge filter.
#3 Oil drain plug. Probably the transmission plug? Both (engine & transmission) i believe should by 1/2 by 20 . If one hole got stripped then a few choices are a piggy-back 1 time oversized, a plain 1 time oversize with magnet or a 1 time oversize pilot point.
#4 Permatex White Pipe and Hydraulic Sealant might make for better use in this application along with a metal re-inforced rubber washer.
Consider staying away from synthetic oils unless you want to locate every possible leak on the bike. Use normal spec oil that is dyno and not synthetic based on your weather.
If you use the piggy back then the little o-ring it brings for the second small plug is usually crap and slips out of place. A brake seal washer like this one works better http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5000...none&utm_term=[74946191890%3Aproduct_type_l1%3D%3Dvehicles%2520%2 6%2520parts%26%2520product_type_l2%3D%3Dland%2520v ehicles%26%2520product_type_l3%3D%3Dmot&cid=Google +SEARCH+NON-BRAND+PLA+-+Shopping+Campaign&adpos=1o4&creative=42616570810& device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CO669u_9ksoCFQ 6IaQodlq0L2Q

Last edited by im; 01-05-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:53 AM
JHP
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been using K&N oil filters for some time with great success. They make several models (in Chrome and Black) to fit all Harley Models/Engines. The best feature of these filters is that they have a 17mm nut welded on the end for easy removal/replacement.
I get them from Amazon at very competitive prices. The one that fits your EVO is:
K&N #KN-173C Harley Davidson High Performance Oil Filter.
Amazon.com: K&N KN-173C Harley Davidson High Performance Oil Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: K&N KN-173C Harley Davidson High Performance Oil Filter: Automotive

Good Luck!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

.....after being a mechanic for 40 plus years I find I cant top a FRAM.

I've been riding Harleys even longer. There's no substitute for experience - and using the correct part! You need oil filter #63813-90, which you can check on-line on any of the on-line parts websites, like this one.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:39 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,266 Posts

A couple of small comments.

I only hand tighten an oil filter, never use the wrench except to loosen it. The only filter wrench that will work (this side of the K&N) is one that goes over the end of the oil filter. Removing the crank position sensor is the best way to go.

There is an O ring on the drain plug for the motor and also the tranny. The torque spec is pretty light as well. If yours is stripped, someone must have really been cranking on it to strip it out.

Carl

Old 01-05-2016, 10:57 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Finally some one said it. "HAND TIGHTEN ONLY"......period.and your oil tank has a drain hose with a plug in the end of it. Don't know what plug you are talking about. Possibly the primary cover drain plug?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:59 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Double post, stupid impatient me.....

Old 01-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, hand tighten only. And it looks like it should be pointed out that your 98 FXDL does not have a crank position sensor. Those are stator wires, and the connection can be problematic, so don't mess with them unless you're changing the stator or the VR.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:36 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I guess the best advice is, If you don't know....get a manual........

Quick Reply: a couple of small questions about servicing