EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Could it be the VOES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:48 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Could it be the VOES?

I've got about 400 miles on the new top end and up until now i've had no problems. Just recently it started pinging at times when taking off from a dead stop. Im running a Ultima programmable ignition on curve 3 or 4 (cant remember right now id have to check) and a VOES. Could it be the VOES? Or maybe im lean on my idle circuit? Im running an S&S with 295/76 jets and I have my idle set around 1000 rpm. Oh and im in Cali so running 91 Chevron or Shell.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

76 is large for the main, check for intake seal leaks.

A can of brake clean with the straw attached works great, it' is very sensitive though, just the fumes reaching the carb intake will give you a false indication of a leak.

I use about a four foot or so piece of pvc pipe that fits the carb opening pretty good.
With the air filter removed, get a helper to hold the pipe against the carb opening, while you spray around the seals to check for leaks.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:31 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Schex3x
76 is large for the main, check for intake seal leaks.

A can of brake clean with the straw attached works great, it' is very sensitive though, just the fumes reaching the carb intake will give you a false indication of a leak.

I use about a four foot or so piece of pvc pipe that fits the carb opening pretty good.
With the air filter removed, get a helper to hold the pipe against the carb opening, while you spray around the seals to check for leaks.
Ok thanks I'll give it a try.

Just riding home today I'm noticing the bike shaking a lot more and acceleration higher in the rpm range isn't as good. Its acting similar to the way it did last year before my coil took a crap on me.........

Old 03-16-2016, 06:39 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I would not use brake clean to check for vacuum leaks. Brake clean is not combustible and therefore useless for checking vacuum leaks. It also produces a deadly gas when sprayed into a running engine. I like to use WD-40. A bad VOES can cause pre-ignition pinging. Unplug it and see if it still pings. That will retard the timing. The VOES should retard the timing when the engine is under load. If it is sticking , it will keep the timing advanced and cause pinging. Its pretty rare though.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Schex
Supporter

Let me add, use very short burst when spaying, and yes, do it outside in the open, and the slightest amount drops the rpm.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC
I would not use brake clean to check for vacuum leaks. Brake clean is not combustible and therefore useless for checking vacuum leaks. It also produces a deadly gas when sprayed into a running engine. I like to use WD-40. A bad VOES can cause pre-ignition pinging. Unplug it and see if it still pings. That will retard the timing. The VOES should retard the timing when the engine is under load. If it is sticking , it will keep the timing advanced and cause pinging. Its pretty rare though.
Reason I was thinking voes was because it just started doing it last couple times out. I'll start by disconecting the voes and go from there.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Schex
Supporter

Originally Posted by byronk
Ok thanks I'll give it a try.

Just riding home today I'm noticing the bike shaking a lot more and acceleration higher in the rpm range isn't as good. Its acting similar to the way it did last year before my coil took a crap on me.........
Could be an ignition problem, I just thought 76 is a pretty big jet, maybe compensating for a leak.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:24 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Schex3x
Could be an ignition problem, I just thought 76 is a pretty big jet, maybe compensating for a leak.
Just looked and its actually a 74 not 76 my bad.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:34 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

I ran a 74 in an S&S E carb with no issues. U said you were running the Ultima ignition? Is it the 53-644? Are you using the coil that came with the kit? I converted a 98 ultra from efi to carb, The Ultima instruction actually recommends a a Dynatek coil. I think it is a dc-06

Old 03-17-2016, 08:52 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

I had that exact problem. Sounded like a chugging rattle starting off in 1st. I disconnected the vaccum hose at the intake and plugged the intake nipple set the ignition dip switch to no voes and PROBLEM RESOLVED... Runs great. Very smooth coming off the line now...

I also believe 74 on the main might still be to big. What are you running for an air bleed size?

One more thing, why would any one want full advance on a light tip in. Itsy promotes pinging/detonation....

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 03-17-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Could it be the VOES?