EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Penske race shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:54 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts
Default Penske race shocks

Wow is all I can say. Had a chance to ride a salvage bike this weekend that had a set of Penske rear shocks on it. It was and ole girl that had very little damage. 02 ultra But someone had installed these. It rode like a dream and handled well. Looks to have 750 lb springs which I thought to be way to high. Can't wait to grab them from my buddy and put them on the shock dyno .than pull them apart to check valving . I had never even thought of them. They were some of the best we hade in oval track racing.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:17 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Have you ever ridden one with Ohlins? I have Ohlins on mine....... Gotta fix the fronts now.......

Old 04-27-2016, 09:16 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
Have you ever ridden one with Ohlins? I have Ohlins on mine....... Gotta fix the fronts now.......
Only one time. But the reason I liked the Penske was no remotes and still comp and rebound adjustable. The Penske s I have worked with before in oval track stuff. Pretty nice shock to tune .plus I can go in a few trailers a grab parts. Lol We had real crappy help with ohlins so kinda drifted away from them.
Getting old so the long distance bike needs to ride real comfy now.( wife notices too)Lol. To be honest I have had progressives ,stock Harley air,Harley premium adj on this bike. The best ride? Friggin air ride I built for my old bike. But no spring in that setup. Not something I trust long distance.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:32 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
Have you ever ridden one with Ohlins?
Yep, nice shock. Purchased the model with the remote reservoir so that I could have a great riding shock, with adjustability and a longer stroke. Had to make my own bracket to mount them. The black electrical tape on the reservior hose is just to prevent any potential contact/rubbing from the saddlebag lid when I open and close the lids.

Attached Thumbnails Penske race shocks-bracket-1.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 06:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Howard Messner, of Ohlins fame around HDF, built Penske shocks, before taking on Ohlins and may still do so. He pioneered building both brands to suit the needs of our Harleys. I've had my Ohlins for several years and talked through the option of Penskes versus Ohlins with him. He pointed out that the cost difference was substantial, but the Ohlins were as good. My guess is that he originally built those Penskes. They are racing car shocks which he adapted.