EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Enclosed Belt Drive and Knock Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:23 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Enclosed Belt Drive and Knock Questions

Hey all. I have an enclosed belt drive, I believe its a BDL. I get an occational knocking from the front of the primary and not sure what it is? What kind of maintenance do I need to be doing on the belt drive? I already replaced the belt last year, belt I took off was fine.

Reason its got the belt drive is the case cracked and PO put in an S&S bottom end and the belt drive. Whats the reason for using the belt drive instead of chain? Would it be a big deal for me to convert it back to chain? Like always thanks for any info guys.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:05 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

No real maintenance on that bdl. But i would check the crank nut and the 3 bolts that keep the splined hub tight to the front pulley.. Also make sure your belt is not rubbing anywhere on the outer primary cover. Make sure you use red Loctite onboard bolts....

When you say the PO installed the bdl because of a cracked case usually that refers to the area of the case where the inner primary bolts on. there is a cast ring there that accepts a large o-ring to seal the inner primary to the case so you don't leak any primary fluid.

If that ring is cracked, missing broke or whatever you will not be able to install a chain primary... Till it's repaired.....

Old 05-02-2016, 04:08 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
No real maintenance on that bdl. But i would check the crank nut and the 3 bolts that keep the splined hub tight to the front pulley.. Also make sure your belt is not rubbing anywhere on the outer primary cover. Make sure you use red Loctite onboard bolts....

When you say the PO installed the bdl because of a cracked case usually that refers to the area of the case where the inner primary bolts on. there is a cast ring there that accepts a large o-ring to seal the inner primary to the case so you don't leak any primary fluid.

If that ring is cracked, missing broke or whatever you will not be able to install a chain primary... Till it's repaired.....
Thanks for the info. Have you ever got a knocking noise from yours? Mines doing it intermittently and sound like its coming from that front crank sprocket but who knows could be something else like a miss adjusted push rod or lifter? Do you ever pull and clean the clutch plates? Im gonna pull the cover and check everything to make sure im good.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:11 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

No, never did anything maintenance wise on the clutch pack. Easy enough to check the front pulley though... Just check to make sure that it's not belt slap.

I ended up taking the BDL primary off because I could not get the belt tight enough (too much slack) and it would actually flop so much in a up and down movement under 2600 rpm (just a lite tip in cruise in 5th gear) that it would send a terrible vibration throughout the entire bike... I even tried a Rivera Primo and wasn't happy with that one either, forget why. So I bought a Baker SBD primary and with some adjusting and time I got it to work great. A little pricey but works very well.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:54 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Yeah my belt is tight no problem there far as I know. Gonna pull the cover tomorrow night and check things out.

Thing is I do have noticeably more vibration then I used to but figure its because of added power from the new top end. Before rebuild I could see out my mirrors fairly clearly on the freeway but now they're pretty blurry.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:18 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

What about the rotor ? Maybe you have a magnet that came loose, making the occasional noise.
If so,it's also no longer in balance and may cause vibration.

Last edited by glidein wide; 05-02-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:19 AM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by glidein wide
What about the rotor ? Maybe you have a magnet that came loose, making the occasional noise.
If so,it's also no longer in balance and may cause vibration.
I assume theres a rotor in the primary?

Old 05-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Yeah, inside the front sprocket, basically.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:48 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by byronk
I assume theres a rotor in the primary?
Behind front sprocket is your charging system(rotor/stater) , not sure about your model but on mine, the inner primary must be removed to pull the rotor and check.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:59 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Thanks again for the info guys. I havent had a chance to pull it apart yet but i'll check back and post up what I find if anything.