EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My First Harley Ended Up Being A 1985 FXST

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 11:18 PM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My First Harley Ended Up Being A 1985 FXST

Hello, Well a couple of months ago I picked up my first Harley and picked out a 1985 FXST. I figured out a few days later that the charging system wasn't working but I was kick starting the bike most of the time anyway. Well after diagnosing the problem and while I was waiting for a new stator and rectifier to come in I was tinkering around and figured out I had a blown head gasket. Grant it I had only put about 200 miles on the bike and just got it. I did not tell the wife about these things and my shop was a disaster. I had to clean it up so I could commence to this new project I had gotten myself into. A few days later I'm on the phone with a buddy telling him my new to me bike is in a million pieces and he's telling me the wife is gonna kill me and right about that time here she comes walking into the shop to take in the sight of my dismantling capabilities. I tell her what my buddy says and she says she knew it was serious when I had to clean up the shop. Hahahaha Any how it still had the stock pistons so I took the jugs and heads to a machine shop and had the cylinders bored .010 over and the heads rebuilt. I am gonna replace the plastic breather gear for a steelie and put in adjustable push rods for a cam swap at a later date. Also in replacing the stator while I got it apart I'm gonna replace the clutch fibers as a few were wore fairly smooth but the clutch was still working fine. I picked up a couple of service manuals one for the house and one for the shop until I get it back together or memorize the manuals. I am fairly mechanically inclined and got an older bike for a reason but wasn't planning on rebuilding it so soon. I got my jugs and stuff back Friday and have already started putting it back together. I tinker with her a little each night that I can anticipating the day she's running again. Here is a couple of pictures of what she looked like when I brought her home.
My First Harley Ended Up  Being A 1985 FXST-img_2199.jpgMy First Harley Ended Up  Being A 1985 FXST-img_2200.jpg

A couple of what the wife saw when she walked in the shop
My First Harley Ended Up  Being A 1985 FXST-img_2390.jpgMy First Harley Ended Up  Being A 1985 FXST-img_2391.jpg

A couple from tonight
My First Harley Ended Up  Being A 1985 FXST-img_2495.jpgMy First Harley Ended Up  Being A 1985 FXST-img_2496.jpg

Old 05-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,613 Likes on 6,661 Posts

Good job. It'll be together before you know it.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

I usually tell the wife,"just cleaning it up".

I'd couldn't resist dropping a cam in now.

Nice bike!

Old 05-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

What kickstart kit is in it?
How does it perform?

Old 05-12-2016, 10:07 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
What kickstart kit is in it?
I'm assuming that's the factory kicker on that.

One cool bike. First-generation Softail with kicker and chain drive. That's the bike that pretty much marked the beginning of an incredible run for the MoCo.

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
I'm assuming that's the factory kicker on that.

One cool bike. First-generation Softail with kicker and chain drive. That's the bike that pretty much marked the beginning of an incredible run for the MoCo.
So it is...I'm Not used to seeing Softails with 4-speeds!!!
Tho a close friend got one when they first came out...Now I'm wondering what became of Her Bike!!!!
Investigation begins...as I would love to have owned that Bike!!!

Old 05-12-2016, 04:00 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Welcome from Connecticut, nice choice, does that four speed leak ? Did your Oem pistons have valve relief in them ? And what brand gasket set did you go with ?
Keep the pics coming and a video at start up would be cool. Also, I will be the only one to say this but I recommend power cones dropped in those drag pipes if you're going to run that exhaust,won't be disappointed.

Last edited by glidein wide; 05-12-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 927 Posts

Nice looking bike! Looks like your having fun with it! YD

Old 05-12-2016, 04:30 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i want to see pics of the stock pistons too.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:14 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

What ever you do keep the seat that is on it as it is the most comfortable seat Harley ever made. I drooled over that model in the show room for ever. I finally got a 99 6 years ago. You will love that bike forever as they are just so much fun to ride. I have drag pipes on mine also with small lollipops or baffles in the end for a little back pressure and it runs great. That bike is a real classic as there were only 2 years with the kicker and chain. 84 and 85. Keep us posted as I want to see it when you get it all back together.

Quick Reply: My First Harley Ended Up Being A 1985 FXST