EVO All Evo Model Discussion

92' FLHS Clutch drag hard shifting problem solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Electric Greaseball
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking 92' FLHS Clutch drag hard shifting problem solution

My Scooter is a mostly stock 1992 FLHS Evo with the 5 speed trans. She has about 32K on the odometer.

To start with I am not affiliated with Barnett Clutch and Cables in any way. I waited to post this so that I could put a couple hundred miles on the build before reporting my findings...

Perhaps this will help someone? Needless to say it has been a very wet spring down here in the southeast, good cruising days have been few and far between. I rolled ol' Betsy out for a nice spring ride and then...

On the way back to the house the clutch suddenly decided to start dragging making it very difficult to shift to neutral, at stops holding her still in gear required applying full front brakes. A quick check of the clutch cable adjustment on the side of the road found nothing to note so I limped home avoiding stops - What the heck it was a nice day for a ride...

After looking at posts on this forum I decide to pull the primary inspection cover and visually check the clutch travel at the pressure plate spring, all appeared good there so I drained and filtered the primary oil looking for tell tail debris. Finding nothing and everything in order there I pulled the outer primary cover and popped the clutch apart to find that the spring plate in the center of the clutch pack had separated and the debris from the spring plate rivets was forcing the clutch plates together??? My best guess anyway...

Even though the plates and friction discs looked good, with 32K on her I decided to go back with a Barnett "add a plate" Carbon Fiber clutch kit to eliminate the spring plate. While I was at it I added the Barnett Billet pressure plate, standard clutch spring, and cable.

The Barnett parts have certainly made one heck of a difference in her performance! She shifts easily with light to medium pull at the lever with very positive clutch engagement. There are other options to repair or replace a separated spring plate on the forum. I chose this route and am very happy with the results...

The Barnett part numbers I used for the repair are:

307-30-20011 clutch plate kit
502-00-01081 Pressure Plate Spring
319-30-20118 Billet Pressure Plate
101-30-10005 Cable

Total time for the complete install including clutch cable was under 3 hours. The repair was straight forward using the 92' Harley FLT service manual for my Scooter. The only special tool required was a Barnett clutch spring compressor or equivalent...

Keep the shinny side up

Last edited by Electric Greaseball; 06-02-2016 at 07:26 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-02-2016, 08:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Good to know, as I have fitted the same clutch plate set to my '90 FLHS.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:46 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

What is your travel at the clutch pushrod adjustment bolt.? I could never get more than .065" travel....

Old 06-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Electric Greaseball
Novice

The 1991 and up have the 18 degree ball and ramp I believe? Push rod travel is .188" on mine after clutch cable adjustment leaving 1/8" free play at the clutch lever.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:57 AM
Dragonline
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 flhtc having clutch probs

EG,
Sounds familiar... mine is not stock, ss carb, T. Header, Andrews cam. but having the same issues. Was there much diff from 92 to 93?

Old 07-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Electric Greaseball
Novice

To the best of my knowledge the 93' uses the same parts, the Barnett site has the parts info on line.

If you haven't done so already be sure to back off the clutch adjustment at the cable and adjust your clutch free play at the clutch and then adjust the clutch cable free play as per the manual. Observe the clutch pressure plate release visually before going any further. That will eliminate the ramp, cable, and push rod from the equation.

The clutch replacement is a straight forward project using the manual, the spring plate is in the center of the clutch pack, my rivets were clearly loose with several in pieces. The design of the clutch pack seems to have kept the separated rivets sandwiched between the clutch plates.

When I searched the forum prior to repairing my Scooter, ( I didn't have this issue with mine) I found several references to the primary chain being adjusted to tight which mimicked the same problem..

I have a shade over 800 miles on the Barnett setup with absolutely no issues, I took her to Laconia NH for ten days of bike week and a bit of mountain riding last month - Sweet ride :P

Be sure to post your findings, solution, & repair as this seems to be a common problem...

Old 07-07-2016, 02:00 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

There's no way i can find nuetral. Is it possible that all clutch cables are not the same and if you have a stronger spring in the clutch that it could actually cause the cable to stretch? You know if it was a cheap one.....

Old 07-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Electric Greaseball
Novice

With mechanical items anything is possible :P I read several posts about premature aftermarket clutch cable failures while researching my problem although many don't post back about the cause or solution leaving the rest of us in the dark...

I would open the derby cover and look to see if you can see the clutch spring operates properly when applying / releasing the clutch lever. If it's not then your problem is in the cable, push rod, or ball and ramp inside the right hand side of the transmission.

P.S. Cables come in several different lengths from stock to 22" over rakes, make sure that you have the correct cable for your Scooter..

Let us know how you make out...