EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXSTC tank vs FLSTC tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

The part from Memphis Shades arrived today.

I know how the petcock reserve works. I just was looking into if the OEM tank on Softail custom of similar year as my heritage had a slightly larger tank. The swapping tank thing is something that has been on the back of my mind and last time I looked into it, I was going at it from a 6 gallon aftermarket tank perspective. I ultimately decided I didn't like the way that looked but then recently remembered about the larger OEM tank on a Softail custom.

I have a couple of plastic 1.5 gallon tanks that fit perfectly in my saddle bags but am always looking for something better.

There are two semi permanent auxiliary tank ideas I am also toying with.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
This is what I did to my bike.
First I got the Memphis shades quick detach windshield which worked fine until I got some aftermarket 5 gallon tanks so I got a detachable windshield from HD that works (it's damn close on the left side but it doesn't touch the tank). You have to use the HD hardware to mount the windshield or it will hit the tank too.

I think the Nostalgia comes with the 5 gallon tanks but they have a special windshield for them (if I remember correctly that is) so I don't think you will be able to mount the FXSTC tanks without changing or doing without your windshield.
I have a '94 FLSTN with factory 5.2 gallon tanks and run the H-D detachable windshield (58243-95-for models without passing lamps) and it fits fine-no interference at all. According to an old P&A catalog I have, the 58240-95 detachable windshield fits my bike WITH passing lamps and factory 5.2 gallon tanks.

I think if you stay with H-D tanks and detachable windshields you are good (at least according the MoCo).

Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

I have been thinking about an auxiliary tank that would go in place of the sissy bar pad. I like this idea because it doesn't use up saddlebag room. It would just need to be about a gallon or gallon and a half.

I found a picture of a Heritage with a 6 gallon tank. It looked ok from the side but from the top front and back looked out of proportion.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I have been thinking about an auxiliary tank that would go in place of the sissy bar pad. I like this idea because it doesn't use up saddlebag room. It would just need to be about a gallon or gallon and a half.

I found a picture of a Heritage with a 6 gallon tank. It looked ok from the side but from the top front and back looked out of proportion.
Even the 5 gallon tanks look "wide" on my bike. Think "Electra Glide" rather than "Hydra Glide".