EVO All Evo Model Discussion

US1 Northern terminus

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:31 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts

If you've done the Keys, why not follow Rt 1 to the top! Go all the way!

The ride along most of the coast of ME is nice from Rt 1...especially when you veer off onto side roads more towards the ocean and really follow the coast...but basically you weave on and off of Rt 1.

Up past Eastport, Rt 1 shoots straight north....and gets real straight for a while going north.

I think that would be cool though..having ridden "all of it". I forget where it truly terminates...up in that northern bulb of the top of ME somewhere. I know it's parallel with the border river for quite a bit.

But all along the coast of ME...ride all of it, freaking gorgeous when you're up along the coast. But take those side roads off of it when you can, that are closer to the water. Like 1A, and some other ones in the high 100's like 187, 191, etc. They all mostly weave in and out of Rt 1.

The following users liked this post:
HGM (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Based on some of the recommendations, I'm now considering hopping to Campobello Island while I'm up there. We'll have to see what the border crossing looks like, but it sounds like there will be some great scenery anyhow! So far, this is what it looks like..

Old 07-29-2016, 02:43 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

You are going to have a great ride. I'm in Maine right now wishing I could have a bike up here. If you have never been up here you are in for a really good time! Enjoy the lobster rolls and steamed lobsters! Ride safe!

HGM (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:35 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Crashone
You are going to have a great ride. I'm in Maine right now wishing I could have a bike up here. If you have never been up here you are in for a really good time! Enjoy the lobster rolls and steamed lobsters! Ride safe!
Hows the weather been?? Hot as hell here!! Rode up to Philly for a sandwich in March, but never been to Maine. Really looking forward to it, if you have any food recommendations along the way, I'll check em out..

Old 07-29-2016, 05:51 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Based on your map of the loop you're making, looks like you have some time available.

May I suggest adding the "White Mountains of New Hampshire" to your route. In my opinion, the most scenic of all of New England. Absolutely jaw dropping views. Focus around Mt Washington. Do the road up 'n down Mt Washington.

But most of all, spend some time riding around Bartlett, Jackson, Carroll, Bethlehem. Check out Rt 16, 2, 3, 302, and the various connectors in between.

Most people like Conway and riding the Kankamangus. Conway is cute, a valley town of tourist trap shops, old railways, yeah..cute. And the Kank...pretty good.

BUT...go north, away from the tourists, Bartlett, Jackson, and north of there, surrounding Mt Washington, north, and west of Mt Wash. And don't miss Franconia Notch (west of Mt Wash).

One of my favorite places in the world, top of Mt Washington....over towards the west side there's a couple of old chairs there. Yes..I am above the clouds, looking down at the land.

HGM (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 07:41 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

Ok cat, you got me, I think I'll be modifying my route a bit.. Looks easily doable.. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Old 07-29-2016, 09:05 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by HGM
Hows the weather been?? Hot as hell here!! Rode up to Philly for a sandwich in March, but never been to Maine. Really looking forward to it, if you have any food recommendations along the way, I'll check em out..
I don't live up here, I have family that has a place up here. We left NC Thursday night and drove to New Haven CT before we gave out and crashed in a car lot for a few hours. It rained from just north of Richmond VA all the way to kennebunkport. The weather here is cooler and nicer than what I left in NC.
OP is gonna have a blast!

Old 07-30-2016, 06:56 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HGM
Ok cat, you got me, I think I'll be modifying my route a bit.. Looks easily doable.. Thanks for the suggestions!!
When you cruising through there?
2x places we stay at in Bartlett/Jackson, you can find condo rentals pretty cheap at Nordic Lodge (lots of owners rent through VRBO). Or a very cute, bike friendly B&B in Jackson, called Snow Flake Inn. Cool owners, they are from CT. It's right over the popular covered bridge. 2x cool restaurant/pubs across the street, as well as lots of other great restaurants nearby. Eat at the Red Fox Bar & Grill (huge, rarely a wait to get in, great Sunday breakfast buffet), also the Red Parka Steakhouse 'n Pub is great (sometimes a line to get in).

You can't do a scenic tour of New England...without taking in the White Mountains. The whole mountain range up there is also called "The Presidentials" (aside from the White Mountains)...with Mt Washington being the main feature.

Maine has gorgeous coastal roads...beautiful. If you are staying around the Bar Harbor area for a couple of days...do a morning kayak tour somewhere in Frenchmans Bay. I'm out of touch with good food places up there...been too many years for me. Spent a lot of my teens 'n 20's up there but not in recent decades.

Once you start heading north towards the top of Maine...it's long...it's a dang tall state. Some of those roads are straight lines north...and the exits get far and few between. Pack snacks and drinks. If you're used ot seeing deer kills on highways, wait til you see what those loggin trucks do to moose up on those roads. The logging trucks have huge welded steel grate front ends..and travel towards 85mph..when they hit a moose...wow..splattered torn moose carcass for a 1/4 mile or more.

Maine is a gorgeous state though..for sure.

If you're going through Portsmouth, perhaps stay in Hampton Beach...a little campy and dated summer beach community for blue collars. Interesting people watching there...fun people to meet 'n yack with. It's stuck in a time warp...like late 60's to early 70's.

But yeah, you can't do a scenic tour of New England without hitting the White Mountains. If you have some time to kill there, do the new zipline on Attitash..it's the longest zip line on the east coast. The zipline on Wildcat is short but fun too, it's right across from the Mt Washing access road entrance.

We'll be riding Rt 1 for a bit today in CT...heading down towards middle of the state shoreline for the day 'n evening.

HGM (08-05-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 07:45 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

Sounds great! I'm on a bit of a mission, on night in each dot on my map, so some of your suggestions will be return trips. I'll definitely be taking some pic's!

Old 08-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Just pulled out of Ft Kent today. Beautiful weather.if u run at night. And I do. Watch the deer and moose. Running around crazy this year. Mt Washington is the best. Enjoy.
Oh and it was hot as h e ll. Sat some rain Have good trip

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 08-04-2016 at 10:58 PM.
HGM (08-05-2016)

Quick Reply: US1 Northern terminus