EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Leaking Oil - When Should I worry about it

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:19 PM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Leaking Oil - When Should I worry about it

I have a 1992 FLSTC with 47,000 miles. It leaks a little oil. I have started to keep track of how much oil I am adding. I estimate I am adding a quart every 2,000 miles. I actually add oil about 4 oz at a time.

It will usually drip for about 12 hours after each ride. I suspect that the leaking happens while riding. Then it drips for a while and eventually stops.

Other than that, it runs great. It has good power. Starts consistently.

So as long as I keep an eye on the oil, should I worry about it?

Old 07-28-2016, 08:46 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Why don`t you tell us where the oil is coming from?

The following users liked this post:
Sorg67 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorg67
I have a 1992 FLSTC with 47,000 miles. It leaks a little oil. I have started to keep track of how much oil I am adding. I estimate I am adding a quart every 2,000 miles. I actually add oil about 4 oz at a time.

It will usually drip for about 12 hours after each ride. I suspect that the leaking happens while riding. Then it drips for a while and eventually stops.

Other than that, it runs great. It has good power. Starts consistently.

So as long as I keep an eye on the oil, should I worry about it?
I don't really care about seeps but when it starts dripping I pull out the tools and fix it.

But that's just me.

Sorg67 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 06:56 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Why don`t you tell us where the oil is coming from?
It drips from the primary casing bolt at the bottom near the back. That is nor the source. There is a drip line from the inside running down to the bolt.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:11 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I don't really care about seeps but when it starts dripping I pull out the tools and fix it.

But that's just me.
I also have seeps. I am not sufficiently skilled to do this myself. I am planning to have the base gaskets replaced and carbs rejetted. I want to have all the leaks addressed at that time. I am planning to have that done next year. I will probably put 5,000 miles on it between now and then. Wondering if it is smart to wait.

Also considering upgrading suspension.

I expect to need a new primary chain at that time and am considering a cam upgrade. Thinking all this could cost $2,500 or so to have it done by a mechanic.

Generally I like taking care of maintenance promptly, But I am thinking I save by having it all done at once.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:56 AM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

I also have seeps. I am not sufficiently skilled to do this myself. I am planning to have the base gaskets replaced and carbs rejetted. I want to have all the leaks addressed at that time. I am planning to have that done next year. I will probably put 5,000 miles on it between now and then. Wondering if it is smart to wait.

Also considering upgrading suspension.

I expect to need a new primary chain at that time and am considering a cam upgrade. Thinking all this could cost $2,500 or so to have it done by a mechanic.

Generally I like taking care of maintenance promptly, But I am thinking I save by having it all done at once.

Thanks for the advice.

This is a leak that you can definitely put off until you get it all fixed at one time.

Base gasket fix-will involve honing of cylinder, and new rings and associated gaskets. New cam is a good upgrade with seals and cam bearing. Since you are doing base gasket at the same time, you wouldn't need new push rods. I would replace lifters at this time also.

Primary side-I would just replace all gaskets and seals related to that side, meaning taking the whole primary out and getting to the tranny seals, and related inner primary seals. You probably don't need a new primary chain. It may just need to be adjusted. It lasts a long time.

Rejet carb? Unless it's not running well, then there's no need.

At 52K miles, these would be good maintenance and upgrade. A $2,500 budget would probably cover these items if done at a independent shop.

Ride the heck out of that Evo. Good luck.

Sorg67 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:14 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

Thanks for the advice. I really like my EVO. I look at the new ones at the dealership and I think I like mine better. It feels like what I think a Harley should feel like - rugged and beefy.

Regarding primary chain - mechanic says he adjusted it as far as it would go. Next time will require replacement.

It was kind of blinged out by previous owner. I am planning to tone it down. Remove gold fittings and "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" stuff.

Maintain and upgrade functional elements. Chase down rattles. I like the idea of it being a simple, well-maintained cruising machine.

I am probably spending more on the bike that it is worth but I like it and I plan to get my money's worth out of it with miles of smiles....

Thanks again

Last edited by Sorg67; 07-29-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Dirty Dancer (10-08-2021)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:57 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by daven9113
This is a leak that you can definitely put off until you get it all fixed at one time.

Is there anything I should watch for that would be an indication that I should not put it off any longer?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:11 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

You can do the base gaskets without honing the cylinders by leaving the pistons in the barrels while you swap out the base gaskets with better ones. Just pull the wrist pins once you get access to them while pulling the cylinder off.

That'll save you money on the deal too and still get the problem fixed.

Griz

The following 2 users liked this post by IBDAGRIZ:
guido4198 (10-06-2021), Sorg67 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 10:02 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I really like my EVO. I look at the new ones at the dealership and I think I like mine better. It feels like what I think a Harley should feel like - rugged and beefy.

Regarding primary chain - mechanic says he adjusted it as far as it would go. Next time will require replacement.

It was kind of blinged out by previous owner. I am planning to tone it down. Remove gold fittings and "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" stuff.

Maintain and upgrade functional elements. Chase down rattles. I like the idea of it being a simple, well-maintained cruising machine.

I am probably spending more on the bike that it is worth but I like it and I plan to get my money's worth out of it with miles of smiles....

Thanks again

I feel the same about my bike. Even after 22 years, I prefer it to any of the new ones I've seen.

Hone the cylinders only if you need new rings. At 52,000 miles, you may or may not. Evos last a lot longer than most will believe if taken care of and not tinkered with too much. Odd the primary chain would be worn out, but then I usually replace mine if it's been over 40,000 miles and I have to enter the primary for any reason. It's cheap insurance. Figure on a new adjustment shoe and maybe a front sprocket if the chain is worn as much as you say.

Sorg67 (07-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Leaking Oil - When Should I worry about it