EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1995 Heritage Softail Classic compared to various 2016 Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EveHD
am dreading having to replace her. I too am still test riding others.
Late 90's Evo Electra Glide. Just sayin'.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

I really want to try out a Road Glide. I might be looking for another bike to take some of the pressure off the old gal once I retire next year. The RG appeals because it's NOT like what I have now.

I wish I felt I had the room, time and money to have both. I need to try one out.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:32 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
I have found that if you want to know if your bars Fit you or are Right for you...Enter the Slow race at the next Bike rodeo...
If you even come close to winning...yer bars are excellent for You...
Texas Hills...I don't have any problem Countersteering with Drag bars...
Each their own...wanna Slow race???
First a slow race is a very bad standard to see if the bars you have are right for you.
It's over way too fast (a few minutes at best).

To find the best bars for you is to ride a long distance and see which leaves your arms the least fatigued.

It's kinda the same comparison of drag racing compared to a daily rider.
The motor for a drag race is great for a short time but it won't hold up over the long haul and by the same token the motor for a daily driver won't win many races on the track.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

As for am I willing to slow race you.. sure just come on down to Austin and let me know you're here.

I've ridden with drag bars, low bars, medium bars and now with ape hangers and by far the apes are the most comfortable and easiest to use.

As previously mentioned I didn't believe people for years that the apes were the most comfortable but once I tried them I found out they were right.

I grant you that drag and low bars look better but they just don't have the same response of the apes.
It's a leverage thing.. simple mechanical advantage that's all.

It all boils down to what is more important to you looks or comfort..simple as that.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
2016 Dyna Wide Glide. 103" Skinny 21" front tire, rubber mounted dyne frame. .... While the bike certainly was very agile, that skinny front tire didn't feel planted going around curves which didn't exactly inspire confidence. It also let in every single road imperfection. It was not the suspension's fault, as the suspension was pretty good, but that skinny tire seemed to notice every imperfection.....
The fault here was the OEM Dunlop. A softer rubber tire like an Avon (or even Shinko according to several other forum members, if you wanted to risk a budget tire) would cure that tar snake following vague feeling. There are a lot of reports from forum members that almost every tire, including newer model Dunlops, are better than OEM on all skinny tired Harley models. An Avon on my 1200C's skinny 21 changed from wiggles to solid muffler grinding. Not so good on the rear muffler...

The following users liked this post:
huggies (12-24-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by EveHD
Thank you for all that research. I see you placed the Heritage softail classic in first place.

I ride an '06 883L SEII, forward controls, mustang seat, bags and windshield. In other words, set up to tour. I got it in 2010 with 1,987 miles and it's got 50k right now and am dreading having to replace her. I have test ridden a lot of bikes and so far, the HSC feels as comfortable as my sportster and I too love love love the handlebars, BUT it lacks the get up and go that my sportster has. I too am still test riding others.
If you want to keep the handling and the quick (and get a lot more quick), might consider another sportster with a 1200 motor. A custom would have a bigger tank, but depending on the year, a skinny 21" spoke front wheel. They went to a bigger 1" axle in 05 or 06, so putting a different wheel on a used sportster would require a little research.

Seats, rear shocks, mufflers... you know you have a huge aftermarket choice to make it your bike the way you like it. The customs also have forwards as stock, but a few others do, too. Still a lot of 10-20 year sportsters out there with low miles, and they're solid bikes. If you ever get another sportster, used, ask if it still has the stock clutch pack; I'd replace that riveted spring plate, weakest part of a sportster.

I've seen few sportsters without Dunlop 400 series tires, and those have got to be the worst handling tires you could put on one. But most of those low mileage sportsters still have the original tires from what I've seen, and they're getting too old anyway.

You could probably put some of the parts you've put on your 883 on a newer one, too. If you want fuel injection, that started on sportsters in '07. Getting a used low mileage sportster and making it a good fit for you would also cost way less than any big twin worth buying.

That said, for those long mile trips you seem to do a fair amount of, a big twin set up right would sure be more comfortable. If you could find one with an S&S motor in it, like I was lucky to do, you'd have a handful of quick, too! If only it could corner over half as well as the sportster...

Old 08-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
The fault here was the OEM Dunlop. A softer rubber tire like an Avon (or even Shinko according to several other forum members, if you wanted to risk a budget tire) would cure that tar snake following vague feeling. There are a lot of reports from forum members that almost every tire, including newer model Dunlops, are better than OEM on all skinny tired Harley models. An Avon on my 1200C's skinny 21 changed from wiggles to solid muffler grinding. Not so good on the rear muffler...

After riding a Harley with a 16" tire up front, any skinny 21" tire will not feel right.
.....and I agree about Dumlop tires. Lowest bidder.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:53 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
After riding a Harley with a 16" tire up front, any skinny 21" tire will not feel right.
.....and I agree about Dumlop tires. Lowest bidder.
While it is a little different it really ain't that bad.
My Heritage has the 16" wheel and my FXSTC has the 21".
The ride isn't all that different between the two.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:57 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Cool write-up dude. Nice to see someone look 'em over and give some insight as to how they feel/ride/sound.

I have a 94 ultra in two tone red. Right after I got it ten years ago, we were up in Austin and a buddy had rented an 06 as he was thinking of buying a touring bike to get off the shovel he was also riding.

We parked at the hotel and walked off and about 40 feet away I turn back to get something off the scoot and notice there really is no difference between the front ends on these two scoots at all. Rental was in red also and they looked like twins.

Ten years later and the dresser and I are still going along just fine and could not figure out why I would ever get something newer.

ABS? Nope. Different paint schemes?" LMAO!!. No. All the other stuff is just crap about crappy handling and ways to make a 900lb bike ride like a 300 lb one.

Mine handles all the curves on all the freeways and highways I have put her thru so far, so why stop now?

Griz

I am looking at an RK that is newer by two years, so there's that..

Old 08-16-2016, 08:30 PM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
Late 90's Evo Electra Glide. Just sayin'.
You do have an awesome bike Peter

Originally Posted by Imold
If you want to keep the handling and the quick (and get a lot more quick), might consider another sportster with a 1200 motor. A custom would have a bigger tank, but depending on the year, a skinny 21" spoke front wheel. They went to a bigger 1" axle in 05 or 06, so putting a different wheel on a used sportster would require a little research.

Seats, rear shocks, mufflers... you know you have a huge aftermarket choice to make it your bike the way you like it. The customs also have forwards as stock, but a few others do, too. Still a lot of 10-20 year sportsters out there with low miles, and they're solid bikes. If you ever get another sportster, used, ask if it still has the stock clutch pack; I'd replace that riveted spring plate, weakest part of a sportster.

I've seen few sportsters without Dunlop 400 series tires, and those have got to be the worst handling tires you could put on one. But most of those low mileage sportsters still have the original tires from what I've seen, and they're getting too old anyway.

You could probably put some of the parts you've put on your 883 on a newer one, too. If you want fuel injection, that started on sportsters in '07. Getting a used low mileage sportster and making it a good fit for you would also cost way less than any big twin worth buying.

That said, for those long mile trips you seem to do a fair amount of, a big twin set up right would sure be more comfortable. If you could find one with an S&S motor in it, like I was lucky to do, you'd have a handful of quick, too! If only it could corner over half as well as the sportster...
Moldy, I prefer the sportster to all other bikes. I know it's top heavy but it suits my riding style and sitting position and the get up and go is unbeatable when you need it. I've set it up so that I can tour in comfort. I'm not looking at new and I may just get another low mileage sportster for the very fact you stated. I can use most of the parts from my current bike. I'm thinking the money I save can be better spent on additional creature comfort upgrades like better shocks, larger tank, mini floor boards, highway pegs, etc, etc.

Last edited by EveHD; 08-16-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:05 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

More reviews coming when things return to normal down here.

Eve, the longer wheel vase of any big twin will translate to a much less choppy ride. I used to have a 91 Sportster. I remember riding it in Yokosuka like it was yesterday.

If you get another bike before my next round of reviews, look at a Street Bob, Low Rider, and a Slim. The Slim is particularly popular with women, but I wouldn't characterize it as a girl's bike.

Quick Reply: 1995 Heritage Softail Classic compared to various 2016 Harleys