EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Getting so sick of this bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Dazzauk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting so sick of this bike

Hi all after going back and forth to my Indy for around 5-6 weeks now and £2000 bill, finally got the bike running good with a new mikuni hsr42, the old carb was dead. It's had lots of work done but still having some problems and I'm so sick of it.

The primary is still leaking after 4 attempts to stop it, the last attempt was new inner seal and I'm guessing / hoping a new seal between the. Cases also.

Gear changes seem to be very hard and the bike won't go in neutral when it's warm unless I turn engine off.

Because I had a new carb I also had new throttle and idle cables, I was riding the bike when all of a sudden I heard a ping style noise and the throttle when very tight. I have slackened it off but its not great.

Lastly not sure if it's a throttle or clutch problem but the clutch cable has lots of movement if I pull on the cable at the end of the lever, and also the bike try's to take off literally as soon as I release the clutch by a few mm, and I keep stalling it.

Any help before I give up on this bike.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:45 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazzauk
Hi all after going back and forth to my Indy for around 5-6 weeks now and £2000 bill, finally got the bike running good with a new mikuni hsr42, the old carb was dead. It's had lots of work done but still having some problems and I'm so sick of it.

The primary is still leaking after 4 attempts to stop it, the last attempt was new inner seal and I'm guessing / hoping a new seal between the. Cases also.

Gear changes seem to be very hard and the bike won't go in neutral when it's warm unless I turn engine off.

Because I had a new carb I also had new throttle and idle cables, I was riding the bike when all of a sudden I heard a ping style noise and the throttle when very tight. I have slackened it off but its not great.

Lastly not sure if it's a throttle or clutch problem but the clutch cable has lots of movement if I pull on the cable at the end of the lever, and also the bike try's to take off literally as soon as I release the clutch by a few mm, and I keep stalling it.

Any help before I give up on this bike.
£2000 is like $2500US right?

The only advice I have is either get a new mechanic or get a factory service manual and learn to do your own work. Seems like an awful lot of cash for the work you described.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,702 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Clutch is WAY out of adjustment. Probably accounts for your inability to find neutral. Like Omaha said, get the service manual and learn how to do it. It ain't rocket surgery.

Your mechanic seems to be good at taking your money and not much else.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Dazzauk
Tourer

Hey chaps yeah around $2800 usd.

Had lots of work done including valve stem oil seals, manual compression releases fitted, new rear shocks, new tranny fluid and brake fluid, and new carb and air filter.

Do you think he would have adjusted the clutch when he did the primary seal? It was fine before it went to him for the primary seal.

I have a factory manual just haven't got the confidence to do all the work yet.

I'm upset that the primary is still leaking after so many attempts to stop it.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:59 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Hey chaps yeah around $2800 usd.

Had lots of work done including valve stem oil seals, manual compression releases fitted, new rear shocks, new tranny fluid and brake fluid, and new carb and air filter.

Do you think he would have adjusted the clutch when he did the primary seal? It was fine before it went to him for the primary seal.

I'm upset that the primary is still leaking after so many attempts to stop it.
Would have had to, since the clutch has to come off to get to the seal.

As for the leak, I'd demand that he fix it again. Or fix it for the first time, as the case may be.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Dazzauk
Tourer

Ok thank buddy, would this also account for the I findable neutral?
I'm going over here Saturday morning, let's hope he can fix it.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:15 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok thank buddy, would this also account for the I findable neutral?
I'm going over here Saturday morning, let's hope he can fix it.
Yes. It certainly sounds as if your clutch is way out of adjustment. It sounds as if your clutch cable is way too slack. What is happening (guessing a bit, but I think this is right) is that because your clutch cable is too slack, your clutch is never fully dis-engaging. The result is the clutch is always dragging, even when you have the lever pulled all the way in. That's a recipe for an impossible neutral situation. That also explains why your clutch grabs too quickly when starting from a standing stop.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:34 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I know how you feel but trust me there ain't nothing complicated about working on an EVO.

I felt the same as you the first time I tackled mine but when I was done I was amazed at how easy it was. JMO

Old 08-10-2016, 06:33 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

curious what bike we are talking about here.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:42 PM
panhead_pete
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do NOT do anything yourself at this moment

Take it back and give the guy that worked on it a chance to fix up what is obviously happened when he worked on it - any decent shop will want that chance

When you go in be polite courteous but express you are frustrated

If you go through this process and are still not happy find a new shop and in the interim buy a workshop manual and parts book and starting reading them instead of watching TV - start with small jobs - like oil changes etc - INVEST in a good set of tools - slowly work into doing more and more work

Last edited by panhead_pete; 08-10-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Getting so sick of this bike