EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Fork Upgrades for harsh roads

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 01:43 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts
Default Fork Upgrades for harsh roads

Our roads here are probably the worst in the country and ai find myself often having to stand on the floorboards and let the bike go over a bump in the asphalt and absorb the bump with my knees. Nothing is going to change that. Sometimes though, I don't see the buckled asphalt and the jolt is kind of hard.

I have works performance shocks in the rear and they work great, way better than the progressive 422's.

Winter here lasts about two weeks so I want to plan my upgrades in advance.

I have a box of parts that will improve my brakes that I never got around to so they are going on this winter.

I think I know the answer but thought I would ask opinions.

I don't want to lower my bike or change the ride height. I just want to eliminate or lesson that hard jarring I am getting. My old bones can't take that anymore, especially when I don't see the bump in time to stand up.

I think what I need is Ricor Intiminators. I also was thinking maybe progressive springs as well.

Right now the front end is stock except for the chrome kit.

I know nothing is going to complete negate the effect of these terrible roads, but if something could make it be not as harsh, then that would be great.

It is more a bump that is harsh, not a dip, if that makes any sense. It is so stupid that one of the main streets in Lafayette is this bad (Johnston Street). About every quarter to half mile or so there is a buckle in the road that sticks up and disrupts my suspension badly and hurts my back and neck if I don't stand up to ride it like a horse. Yes, when I was younger I was very good at riding horses and would help my grandfather train professional race horses.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:41 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I put some progressive springs in mine and have been quite happy with them but you are right that there are better systems out there.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Prot
Club Member

What has me thinking about this again is that 2017 Street Glide I rode had a really great suspension that was improved over the 2016 models.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

I thought from your description that you lived here. Roads up here are concrete under the asphalt, and the expansion joints buckle in the summer heat enough to pitch you off the seat.

Maybe a sprung saddle would help.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Look at the RaceTech single rate spring for your bike. I installed them in my Road King and am very happy with the results. Bike glides over the bumps now. When was the last time you pulled the front end apart and cleaned it out real good? Maybe some fresh oil and new seals will help for the time being. Also try a lighter weight fork oil.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Prot
Club Member

Uncle G, what you describe is exactly what I am talking about with these roads. The Works Performance Shocks do a good job on the rear, so if I can improve the front, then I would be in good shape.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There are two possible solutions I offer for your consideration. One is already sort of mentioned above, namely single-rate springs, but use them with Ricor Intiminators. There is a thread in the Touring section by fabrik8r recommending that set-up, but with tuning mods to the Intiminators to improve their performance. Well worth seeking out, but do get a crate of your favourite beverage first!

The other is Ohlins FKC101 fork cartridges. They are intended for the touring bikes with 41mm forks, but should fit your bike. It would be worth talking to Howard, our favourite suspension guru, for advice. They come with single-rate springs matched to your weight, which I expect can be adjusted to compensate for a slightly lighter bike (if there is any significant difference!).

So those are the 'budget' and premium extremes of your options. I have the first in my original forks and the second in my 'new' forks for Hyacinth. I only just had an email from Howard recommending to use a different forks oil level, as his experimenting has yielded improved performance from the Ohlins. In other words he is proactive on his pet products!

It was our visit to the USA and Canada in 2003, with Hyacinth, that started me on my own suspension crusade.....

Last edited by grbrown; 09-05-2016 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Here's a link.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:00 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

I have ricor intiminators with an upgraded spring in my dyna and they respond beautifully. I have actually been considering doing the same thing to my evo if and when I need to take the forks off for anything. Both of these options (new spring and ricors) are an easy installation.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:48 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
Also try a lighter weight fork oil.
I had to go heavier with mine to get a better ride - why lighter weight oil ?

Quick Reply: Fork Upgrades for harsh roads